Volunteer Doctor, South Africa
Miami, Florida, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
Are you passionate about using your knowledge and skills to help others? Answer your calling, and take your leave of purpose.
The Tshemba Foundation is appealing to medical doctors around the world to address a critical health care gap in rural South Africa's Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces where doctor shortages are posing substantial challenges to adequate health care.
You will experience and learn from a stimulating and challenging working environment, treat conditions and cases not usually seen in urban areas and help leave a legacy of improved quality of care by sharing knowledge and skills with local staff who are eager for support.
Tshemba offers its volunteers free, safe and secure accommodation at its Volunteer Lodge, situated in Moditlo Private Game Reserve. The Lodge serves as a welcome off-duty refuge where like-minded healthcare providers relax after an intense day of work. Here they exchange ideas, create healthcare solutions for daily challenges faced and connect with peers from all over the world, all the while taking in the magnificent natural surroundings.
In your role as a volunteer physician you can offer:
- direct or indirect patient care in various departments of a public hospital and/or surrounding clinics
- postgraduate support to medical staff in training
- skills development and/or formal teaching for local staff
- administrative or management support, including clinical and quality improvement projects
Our medical director will work with you to develop a personalized volunteer schedule that combines your skills and experience with the needs of various hospital departments and clinics in the area.
Length of placement:
- Currently, volunteer placement lengths are flexible. Based on your area of expertise as well as the capacity available, we can determine where and when your visit will be best suited.
- A current medical license in good standing
- Registration with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA), which we will assist international volunteers to obtain.
- We welcome interest from all potential medical volunteers; however, the current greatest current need in the area is for GPs or Family Physicians, General Surgeons, Hospitalists, Obstetricians/Gynaecologists, Paediatricians, Ophthalmologists, Anaesthetists and Dentists.
Doctors who have volunteered with Tshemba tell us that they have been re-energized and transformed by the experience, and their passion for medicine reignited.
Please note: As a result of the current spread and unpredictability of Covid-19, we have temporarily suspended international volunteering until the end of May 2020 to do our part in trying to flatten the curve of cases. However, given the length of time it may take to register you as a temporary volunteer physician with the Health Professions Council of South Africa, we encourage to continue to apply for the future.
Please reach out if you have any questions and to discuss volunteering your time.