Software Engineer, Middleware
Austin, Texas, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: I.T. & Communications
Kapsch TrafficCom is a global leader in the ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems) industry, focused on connected vehicles, highway traffic management, electronic tolling, and smart city solutions.
Learn what keeps Kapsch "always one step ahead" in people and technology by visiting our website
As part of the back-end development team, you will be developing, improving, and maintaining multiple products designed on the principles of an N-tier architecture. Primarily, the work entails creating and securing APIs to internal and external teams and third parties, with one or more RDBMS back-ends. As a Level 2 developer you will likely mentor junior developers, and have input into the implementation of software solutions. The products consists of generic cores that are customized, and extended by modules for individual customers. You will also be expected to interact with members of other teams during design, development, and maintenance of deliverables. The main products are mission-critical transaction processing systems, similar to a clearing-house application, with supporting applications that provide diagnostics and infrastructure monitoring.
The work is deadline-focused and project-based, with occasional travel.
- 4+ years' experience in web development experience using Java/C#
- 3+ years' experience installing, maintaining, and deploying Java based Application Servers (Tomcat/Wildfly)
- 3+ years' experience with any scripting/interpreted language such as Bash/Python
- 3+ years' experience with tooling like Docker, Ansible, and Maven/Gradle
- Superior English writing, typing, and communication skills
- Understanding of enterprise software design principles - architecture, design patterns, OOP
- Team oriented mindset, good source control practices, while able to fully complete tasks & objectives independently
- Able and willing to communicate honestly, proficiently, and professionally with other team members, external teams
- Experience with RDMS backends ( Oracle/PostgreSQL/MySQL )
Degree in computer science or related field
- Comfort using a *nix terminal (no GUI)
- Comfort with multi-threaded applications
- Familiarity with at least one modern framework
- Enjoying unit testing, documentation, design reviews, and code reviews
- Desire to learn new skills, improve existing ones, and continuously improve professionally with on the job training
The Kapsch portfolio of Advanced Traffic Management (ATM) services includes over 40 systems that integrate ATMS, SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition), and automation for collecting real-time traffic and facilities-related data from highways, managed lanes, bridges, and tunnels. This information is delivered to a traffic management center where it is processed for actionable use by road operators, government authorities, and road users.
Our tolling solutions span all-electronic toll collection in free-flow traffic, automated payment at conventional toll plazas, and city tolling. Our solutions comprise radio communication via micro waves, vehicle tracking via GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite Systems), ALPR (Automatic License Plate Recognition) video tolling, and vehicle classification via video and laser sensors LVDC (Laser Vehicle Detection and Classification). Our systems can manage operations for areas ranging from individual roads to entire regions, and can be modified for distance-based or time-based charging.
Our combined intelligent mobility solutions are used to aid traffic management personnel in making critical decisions during emergency response situations, as well as for providing real-time traffic information to road users from the highway to the city.
Kapsch TrafficCom is a leading global provider of intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and offers solutions across our customers' entire value chain - from single products and components, to fully integrated turnkey systems and solutions in the applications of electronic toll collection, commercial vehicle operations, and highway traffic management. The Company is headquartered in Vienna, Austria with North American headquarters in McLean, Virginia and offices throughout the United States (Virginia, Georgia, New York, New Jersey, Texas, California), Canada (Mississauga) and Mexico (Mexico City).
Kapsch TrafficCom is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
Kapsch TrafficCom is a drug-free workplace.
- provided by Dice