Senior Network/Systems Specialist
ITC Service Group Inc
Citrus Heights, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: I.T. & Communications
Senior Network/Systems Specialist
ITC Service Group is a medium sized company that is owned by a large multinational parent. We have the financial stability and longevity of a bigger company, with the entrepreneurial spirit and can-do attitude of a smaller one.
We value a healthy corporate culture. We strive to create and maintain a positive and respectful work environment. The ITC IT team has a customer service orientation and works hard to give every employee excellent support. The group is small (only 6 of us), tight knit, and mutually supportive.
ITC is seeking an IT jack of all trades with a passion for learning. We need someone who is a good technology switch hitter with in-depth technical skills to work alongside the Director of IT to keep the application, server, network and telecom infrastructure humming. Our IT environment supports 700 employees, 12 offices, across 8 states. We have servers in the Sacramento headquarters and a nearby co-location data center.
While our environment isn't huge, there is variety and the opportunity for hands-on work that isn't present in a larger, highly compartmentalized IT organization.
The role is mostly server-side, applications, and network, with some desktop support. Works will mostly be systems maintenance and project based. But you should be ready to help end users too.
Our current technology infrastructure looks like this:
Microsoft Windows desktops (Windows 7 moving to Windows 10) and servers (2008 R2, 2012 R2, and 2016)
VMware we are highly virtualized on the server side
SonicWall firewalls, Dell layer 2 and layer 3 switches
Ubiquiti wireless access points
Legacy Avaya IP Office phone system moving to a 3CX open standards VoIP system
Office 365 and Exchange
In-house developed ERP on a Linux/JBoss/MySQL stack
There is so much to do. In your typical day you could:
Upgrade server hardware
Install a new VMware server
Install new Microsoft Servers
Add users in Active Directory, define a new group policy, update SRP rules
Push new Microsoft updates with WSUS
Deploy new wireless access points
Upgrade the VoIP phone system, deploy new extensions
Perform a full disaster recovery test of the backup system
Set up log collection and analysis
Plan the IT deployment for opening a new field office
Audit software license usage to ensure compliance
Evaluate new products
- Solid experience with Microsoft server technologies including Active Directory, group policy, file and print services
- Solid networking experience including Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching, routing, and VPNs
- Solid understanding of TCP network fundamentals including ARP, DHCP, LDAP, and DNS
- Solid understanding of WiFi technologies and security concepts
- Solid experience deploying/ maintaining/ and administering an anti-virus system
- Solid experience administering modern VoIP phone systems such as ShoreTel, Avaya, 3CX, or Asterisk
- Solid experience with e-mail preferably Exchange. Solid understanding of e-mail technologies including SMTP, POP, IMAP, MAPI, DNS MX records, SPF, DKIM, and DMARC
- Solid desktop support experience. Mostly Windows but some Mac experience is desirable
- Some Linux experience. Know how to navigate through the file system. Edit files and configure network parameters. Examine logs
- Hands on experience building or repairing servers and building or repairing PCs
- It would be highly desirable if you have experience in building network cabling including Multimode OM3 fiber, CAT6, CAT5, CAT3
- Video surveillance system installation/ configuration, and maintenance
- Good with people. Patient with end users who are less technical than you are
- Able to work independently and under supervision. Able to take direction well
- Able to direct other more junior IT team members
- Takes ownership and drives projects to completion
- Commitment to quality. Whether it is an end-user desktop issue or deploying a new VMware cluster. You are committed to doing it right each and every time
- Great troubleshooter and someone who looks for the root cause
- Great written/communication skills
Occasionally you will be asked to travel to field offices to upgrade or maintain equipment. Travel frequency is only a few times a year.
Educational and certifications
Bachelors degree in computer science, information technology, or a related discipline
Some IT certification from Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, or CompTIA
ITC Service Group ( ITC ), is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law.