Senior Mechanical Engineer - Medical
Bristol City, Bristol, United Kingdom
Job type: contract
Job industry: Engineering
Our client is a world-class innovation, design and product development team with a driven purpose to design a better world, and a strong track record of delivering successful products and experiences for clients in medical, consumer and industrial sectors.
To support the growth and ambition of the business, they are looking for a senior mechanical engineer to work across our multidisciplinary medical device development projects. We are looking for an experienced individual who will enjoy the challenge of working across several projects to help deliver excellence to our clients, on time and within budget.
This role will require close integration with all the different areas of expertise and therefore should be a good communicator, with the ability to understand the challenges of the different projects.
The team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce effective results, working with some of the biggest, best and most interesting clients you'll find anywhere. They're also highly successful, growing to 75 people, from their origins as a product design consultancy to the multi-expertise team they are today, encompassing Research, Innovation, Human Factors, Digital, Product & Packaging Design, Engineering, Prototyping, and Electronics & Software.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer with product development experience within medical devices, who will take a lead role in project delivery within the engineering team.
* 1st or Upper 2nd, Masters degree in mechanical engineering
Essential Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience of the following:
* 5+ years' hands on engineering experience in medical device product development
* Design from concept through to manufacture of mechanical systems and products
* A focus on the use of engineering principles and analysis techniques
* Project management including mentoring and directing other team members
* Strong commercial understanding from a company and client perspective
* Client relationship management and development; ideally consultancy experience
* Understanding and working within cross discipline teams (i.e. alongside industrial design, electronics and software, prototyping etc)
* Presentation skills including written and verbal communication skills
Other Relevant Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will also have experience in a wide range of engineering processes including:
* Mechanism design
* Analysis of static, dynamic, fluid or thermodynamic systems
* Design for manufacture including materials selection using manufacturing processes such as injection moulding, machining, sheet metal, forming
* Tolerance analysis, design specification & 2D drawings.
* Experience using CAD packages, preferably SolidWorks
* Experience in risk management process to ISO14971 and use of FMEA and Fault Tree
* Essential Personal Qualities
Bright, organised, personable, enthusiastic, pragmatic, team player