Senior Financial Accountant
NEA Member Benefits
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Sales & Marketing
NEA Member Benefits (NEAMB) is accepting applications for the position as Senior Financial Accountant. The successful candidate will report to the Controller and will contribute to the development of appropriate procedures and reports required in regards to accounting and contracting.
- Assists Controller in maintaining the accounting environment by performing analyses, research, reconciliations or other related duties as assigned.
- Develops, analyzes, and interprets accounting and statistical information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the company.
- Prepares work papers, financial statements, and various reports for both internal and external accounting and auditing purposes
- Prepares schedules used in the annual audit of financial records by independent auditors. Interacts closely with auditors to achieve completion of financial audits.
- Conceptualizes and publishes reports and saved search queries for Finance Department and other users.
- Provides technical and analytic advice and expertise to Finance Department and other users.
- Responsible for monitoring contractual arrangements entered into by NEA's MBC to ensure that all provisions and conditions are adhered to for developing and establishing all necessary records to ensure that this is accomplished; and for maintaining executive summaries to management, summarizing the contracts. The majority of this compliance work is of financial nature.
- Responsible for performing the above and other comprehensive accounting work for other entities as necessary.
- Manages the data assembly and preparation of MBC's budgets, as well as annual budgets for 1 other entities.
- Serve as a backup to the payroll accountant.
- Performs other finance-related ad hoc assignments as may be required
- Requires BS/BA in Accounting, Finance or related field; 5 years of experience corporate or public accounting environment. CPA certification is required.
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP and accounting theory is necessary
- Proficient in planning, organizing and managing multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to effectively work independently.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, to include demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and in a constructive manner with management, peers and coworkers.
- Excellent problem solving /judgment skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Practical experience should include financial statement preparation, including consolidation of multiple entities, financial analysis, budget management, cash flows management, and tax and other governmental filings.
- Must possess thorough understanding of databases and general programming concepts. Knowledge of NetSuite ERP highly preferred. Ability to understand financial concepts applicable to the Insurance industry
Other Position Considerations
Limited travel may be required. The incumbent may be requested to attend state conventions and/or the annual NEA Convention to interact with members, leaders, and staff, and to respond to inquiries at the NEAMB Exhibit. The incumbent may be requested to travel to the sites of vendors, suppliers, consultants, or other parties in regards to financial analysis, special projects, or audits.
NEA Member Benefits is proud of the corporate culture we have created, where employee growth and recognition are a priority. Our compensation package includes competitive salaries, 100% employer paid health and dental coverage for you and your family, generous leave, a 401(k) and retirement program, tuition assistance and a student loan repayment benefit. We even help pay for your gym membership!
You will find our Gaithersburg, MD office to be an open, collaborative, and relaxing work environment. NEA Member Benefits takes pride in being an Equal Opportunity Employer and promotes diversity in hiring and contracting.
If you think this opportunity is for you, then we invite you to apply online at
We look forward to hearing from you.