Manager of Landscaping and Irrigation Services
Malibu, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Construction
Manager of Landscaping and Irrigation Services
Job no: 499058
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Under the direction of the Director of the Department of Facilities Services (DFS), meanages all aspects of the Landscape Services division to ensure an aesthetically pleasing, safe, and clean University environment. Initiates and collaborates within DFS and with other University departments to create, promote, and support a departmental reputation of excellence.
- Generate, manage, and respond to work order requests to maintain landscaping and irrigation systems on the Malibu campus and other University properties.
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Landscape Services staff in all aspects of operations including hiring, training, evaluating, and scheduling.
- Develop, implement, and enforce emergency, safety, planning, and operational processes and procedures to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Improve the knowledge and skills of others, including identifying areas for enhancement, developing training programs, and teaching, instructing, and mentoring Landscape Services personnel.
- Manage vendors and contractors as required.
- Provide consultation, recommendations, and technical support to University management, administration, and other stakeholders to ensure proper review of all landscape designs from concept to completion.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with internal and external project participants to ensure that all parties are well-informed and that work proceeds on schedule with minimal impact to University operations.
- Evaluate and track project specifications, expenditures, and schedules.
- Inspect work for quality control and to efficiently identify and address issues.
- Oversee the management of materials, parts, and equipment, including inventory tracking, record keeping, product research, and supply procurement.
- Research, prepare, manage, and present information including programs, estimates, budgets, schedules, and status reports.
- Perform all work to be in compliance with plans, specifications, applicable codes, industry standards, best practices, and Pepperdine standards.
- Accurately record and report all work performed indicating the time and materials expanded.
- Perform regular administrative tasks such as maintaining files, processing paperwork, entering data, and monitoring systems.
- Maintain required trade-specific training and certifications and obtain further training as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience is required. Ability to design and monitor installation and maintenance of irrigation and landscape systems is required. Strong English written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required. Must consistently project a professional demeanor and positive attitude. Ability to work independently and as a team is required. Willingness and ability to periodically work overtime hours and respond to emergency calls after hours/weekends is required. Basic computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Google suite is required. Willingness to learn new databases. Ability to train staff on basic computer and Microsoft Office skills.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree in related filed strongly preferred. 5 years of University experience is preferred. Minimum of 10 years experience in landscape services with proven management and leadership skills. Ability to communicate in Spanish is preferred. Competency using tools and operating equipment of the trade is preferred.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with all applicable laws.
This is a regular, exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Pepperdine University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, disability, or prior military service. Federal guidelines recognize the right of church-related institutions to seek personnel who will support the goals of the institution, including the right to select members of the church to which the institution is related.
Apply now at