Lean Manager - Logistics System
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
The Nike, Inc. Supply Chain team is the engine that propels product around the world. Supply Chain experts ensure that every year, almost a billion units of footwear, apparel and equipment arrive at the right place, at the right time. To ensure this complex job goes off without a hitch, Supply Chain teams work with a network of more than 50 distribution centers, thousands of accountants, and more than 100,000 retail stores worldwide - making the impossible happen every single day.
One such way is implementing and maintaining our Nike Logistic System (NLS) at our various distribution centers.
As our NLS Manager, you will be part of our diverse and talented Nike Logistics System (NLS) team supporting operations in implementing and using our Nike Logistic System to reach our goals at the Shelby and Rest of Network distribution centers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Support the NLS Director in creating the NLS strategy for the distribution centers and develop and implement resulting actions (Kaizens/Improvement projects)
- Lead cross functional Kaizen teams across different shifts in improving their operation using our NLS guiding principles & culture, including various LEAN tools, techniques, and continuous improvement philosophy.
- Create understanding of the end-to-end value stream
- Act as a coach/teacher for the team regarding the NLS principles and tools.
- Drive the team to identify the various types of waste and non-value addedactivities, and how to eliminate these using root cause analysis and lean process design principles.
- Lead the implementation of the identified solutions
- Facilitate discussions to drive clarity and understanding among the cross functional members of the team and with management when needed
- Ensure the work is executed in a timely manner
- Develop and provide training to distribution center directors, managers and employees across 4 shifts to instill in depth understanding of the NLS culture & methodology (not just on how to use the various LEAN based tools that are part of this), as well as transition management and problem solving.
- Work with the various Operational teams to defining and maintaining standards based on best practices
- Support NLS Director in identifying areas for improvement and setting priorities by providing relevant data driven analyses on distribution center performance and processes
- Support the NLS and improvement teams in driving a culture of continuous improvement
- Work with the team in fostering collaboration, alignment, and integrated execution across different functions in a matrix organization
- Document, standardize and apply NLS tools and techniques, improve them where possible.
- Lead a small team of NLS advisors; provide clear expectations, coach and support them in delivering high quality results
- Serve as liaison with global NLS team
- 2+years of experience standing up a lean organization from the ground up
- 6+ years of experience with Lean/Toyota Production System, additional Quality System experience is a plus.
- 3-5 years of operational distribution center experience preferred
- Experience leading and managing a team required
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including ability to influence stakeholders from various backgrounds and management levels in a matrix organization
- Bachelor's degree and/or technical degrees preferred
- Proven experience with using and implementing Lean tools and processes onto the work floor (Kaizen Events, VSM, 5S, Layered Audits, Standard Work)
- System thinker. Sees the organization as an interlinked network of processes. Understands how changes to one will impact the others.
- Well versed in problem solving (8D, 5x Why, FMEA, Fishbone diagram)
- Good analytical and statistical skills preferred
- Good project management skills
- Experience in teaching & coaching LEAN tools a plus
- Comfortable with change, able to tackle new priorities efficiently
- Service oriented, tries to get a solution "designed around the customer"
- Able to effectively communicate with stakeholders from various backgrounds/functions using a wide range of communication methods
- Willingness and ability to come in off-shift on occasion when a project requires
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Visio, SharePoint), knowledge of Manhattan's DCMS a plus