IT Engineer II
Pentagon Federal Credit Union
Mc Lean, Virginia, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: I.T. & Communications
IT Engineer II
IT Engineer II
PenFed is hiring an IT Engineer II in our McLean, Virginia headquarters. The primary purpose of this job is to perform engineering and implementation specific tasks on enterprise infrastructure systems, services and applications. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, system design; standards based implementation, capacity planning, systems integration, process / procedure development and refinement, and technical support.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Implement systems in a phased approach of requirements analysis, system design review, installation, integration, and testing.
- Lead the development of product/project requirements and success criteria through collaboration with internal and external customers. Leverage these criteria and integrate business and technical knowledge when designing and developing solutions to deliver optimal, elegant solutions that meet functional and non-functional requirements while delivering the best value and user experience.
- Provide escalation support to troubleshoot and maintain production infrastructure and to resolve production issues and outages.
- Maintain proper documentation including configuration specifics and procedures, for implementation and ongoing operation/maintenance of infrastructure solutions.
- Provide technical support for enterprise systems. Troubleshoot, repair and recover from hardware or software failures in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Perform routine operational tasks, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, resources, systems, and key processes. Review system and application logs, and verify completion of scheduled jobs.
- Perform systems related maintenance such as systems rebooting, patching, backups, snapshots, health monitoring, hardware/software asset management, software distribution and systems decommissioning.
- Install, configure, test and maintain systems, application software and infrastructure tools.
- Serve as a key team member using existing technical knowledge and have the skills to perform specific projects independently.
- Maintain the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
- Interact with senior engineers and management to identify areas of improvement for operational efficiency.
- Work closely with technical and non-technical personnel within and across PenFed departments and vendors.
- Accountable for managing all assigned tasks and projects.
- Participate in the planning and design of an enterprise Business Continuity Plan and Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Comply with Incident Management and Change Management procedures and reporting practices.
- Maintain up-to-date detailed knowledge of the IT industry as it relates to the technologies identified as primary responsibilities including awareness of new or revised solutions and improved processes.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date baselines for the secure configuration and operations of all in-place systems.
- Assists junior and subordinate staff in researching technical problems and complex designs in order to develop staff capabilities.
- Participates in on-call 24X7 support as needed in the event of system outage or failure.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in related field is preferred.
- In lieu of a degree, combination of education and a minimum of six (6) years of related work experience is required that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to perform all the essential job functions.
- Demonstrated understanding of Network, Compute, Storage, Cloud and End-User technologies.
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving and multi-tasking skills desired.
- Must be able to present system designs for user approval at formal reviews.
- Must be capable to provide solutions to identified systems issues.
- Detailed understanding of AWS core technologies and tools
- Administration knowledge of Linux
- Experience scripting in Bash, Python, or Ruby
- Understanding of DevOps and Kanban
- Understanding of Virtualization and/or Containerization
- Experience using Configuration Management Tools, such as Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
- Experience using monitoring tools, preferably Dynatrace or CloudWatch
This position will not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call is required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country's strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.6 million members and over $23 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn't simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at .