Embedded Software Engineer - New Engineer Development Program (January
Pella, Iowa, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: I.T. & Communications
You're not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We're a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact - on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do MoreTM.
Participants in the Engineering Development Program will complete a 15-20 week training experience that provides an overview of engineering and manufacturing processes at Vermeer. During this program, participants will complete experiential, hands-on, classroom, and self-paced educational opportunities to accelerate their professional development. Upon successful completion of the program, participants will be assigned to an Electrical Design Engineer role as described below. The Engineer I - Electrical invents, designs, documents, builds, and tests new solutions for assigned industry using design tools. This role supports design in production, sales, service, troubleshooting, and updating. This position is also responsible for analyzing and providing realistic recommendations on electrical and controls systems to ensure that design meets the design goals and customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Design and detail circuits, harnesses, and assembly prints using SolidWorks software for manufacturability, cost effectiveness, and safety.
3. Develop software and supporting documentation for machine based controls.
4. Debug and test software.
5. Develop mechanical design of controls associated structures and bill of materials (BOM).
6. Analyze production issues and create solutions.
7. Support, supervise, and assist Engineering Technicians with all aspects of building and testing prototypes.
8. Instruct other users on SolidWorks, PDMWorks, and ECN tools and best practices.
Education and/or Experience
- 4-year college degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Agriculture or Electrical Engineering.
- Or other 2 or 4-year college degree with a minimum of 4 years related experience.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify the root cause of defective parts of product design solutions, including manufactured and purchased component sizing.
- Knowledge in the programming, hydraulics, electronics, statistics, and strength of materials, durability, and serviceability of products.
- Ability to create robust design, identify changes early in the design progress and to recognize design commonality.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the public/customers and coworkers and maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness with customers and peers.
- Ability to operate fork lift, simple mechanics tools and wrenches, assembly hand tools, drill press, lathe, band saw, and assembly power tools.
- Ability to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents in a timely manner.
- Demonstration of good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time and resources to meet the needs and schedules of internal customers and respond immediately to production questions and crisis with solutions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to understand material strengths, fatigue strength, and manufacturability to ensure that the right configuration and materials are developed.
Up to 15% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.