Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
POSITION SUMMARY: . Inter-Faith Food Shuttle daily recovers and distributes nearly, 23,000 pounds of food. The food is recovered from manufacturers, wholesalers, grocery stores, local farmers, restaurants, and distributed to partner agencies and people in need throughout the community. Our drivers recover and deliver this life sustaining food to people struggling with hunger.
Interacting directly with food donors and partner agencies, Drivers are a key player on Inter-Faith Food Shuttle's Food Recovery and Distribution Team. Drivers are often the only person with whom food donors and agencies interact making the driver our greatest ambassador. Drivers must be professional, courteous, and customer service oriented.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Drive Food Shuttle fleet vehicles to pick up food from donors and deliver to partners and program participants.
· Act as positive representative of the Food Shuttle, displaying strong customer service and a friendly demeanor toward all people (donors, program participants, partners, and colleagues).
· Maintain rapport with donors and/or their employees to foster continued support and a professional working relationship.
· Work professionally with volunteers who assist in donor pick-ups and deliveries.
· Perform warehouse duties as assigned. Duties may include and are not limited to, cleaning, organizing, loading and unloading trucks, assisting agency partners, building food orders, minor upkeep of vehicles, and other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
· Maintain accurate records and follow procedures regarding sorting, labeling, and weighing all food donated and distributed.
· Inspect product donations to assure that safety and sanitation standards are met.
· Follow Food Safety and Handling guidelines and maintain food safety certificate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
· Strong time management skills.
· Experience in customer service.
· North Carolina Class C Driving License and clean driving record.
· A minimum of a high school diploma is required.
· Proven ability to work steadily and independently with minimum supervision and to follow standardized procedures.
· Attention to detail.
· Basic Math skills: Add, subtract, multiply and divide units of weight successfully.
· Must be able to lift up-to 50 lbs. repeatedly. (Drivers often move 3,000 to 4,000 lbs. of food by hand each day.)
· Position requires extensive lifting, pushing, and pulling.
· Knowledge of Greater Raleigh / Triangle Area of North Carolina a plus.
· Preferred professional truck driving experience.
Urban Agriculture Division: Knowing how to grow food is an important step toward developing a locally-owned food system that builds sufficiency and community power. The more we understand about growing and preparing food, the healthier we are. Growing food, especially in urban areas and on small tracts of land, is a viable way for people to feed themselves. Our goal is to create a more just and sustainable future and develop more ecologically, economically and socially sound models of food production and distribution.