Business Development Manager
SGS North America
San Diego, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Consulting & Corporate Strategy
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to use business and sales experience along with an understanding of large molecule services testing industry to win business from prospective clients and generate new lines of business from existing clients.
- Follows market activity to anticipate new trends, capture new business opportunities, and expand into new markets.
- Researches organizations and individuals online to identify new leads and potential new markets.
- Contacts potential clients via email or phone to establish relationship and set up meetings.
- Builds and maintains current customer relationships.
- Develops and achieves a prospecting plan while accomplishing yearly targets.
- Creates/reviews proposals for new services and ensures that acceptable margins are maintained.
- Responds to inquiries regarding the scope of our services and capabilities.
- Develops long-term relationships and short-term sales strategies that are consistent with the SGS vision.
- Attends conferences, meetings, industry events, expo's, and professional development events to increase company visibility and networking.
- Generates winning proposals that articulate clearly our value proposition as it directly relates to the customer's problem/pain point.
- Mines the customer lists of relevant SGS businesses for materials testing opportunities.
- Attends trade shows, host facility tours, provide hospitality, advocate sponsorship and facilitate networking at industry and social events.
- Assists in the creation of direct marketing campaigns and promotions.
- Maintains weekly sales metrics and documents customer meetings.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree required, preferably in Business or related technical field.
- Minimum 3 years of inside/outside sales selling gene therapy, large molecule and biologics analytical testing or vaccines experience; minimum 5 years of industry experience.
- Solid knowledge base of durability, vibrational, environmental and/or thermal aging testing (basic technical knowledge, main industry players, trends, competitors, processes, regulatory framework, etc.).
- Organized professional with strong selling techniques that translate into tangible results.
- Analytical Chemistry background and strong sales background
Licenses / Certifications
- Valid driver's license, due to travel requirements.
- Requires up to 50% travel, but majority will be local. Overnight stays up to 20%. Schedule flexibility required to accommodate customer's needs.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.