4-H Urban Outreach Educator, Ithaca NY
Cornell Cooperative Extension
New York City, New York, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
# **Attention Applicants: **
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references (at least 2 previous employers) as one document when applying. All candidates who are current employees of CCE Tompkins must apply as internal applicants. _Please note that changes cannot be made to an application once it is submitted._ This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified. For more information about how to apply, pay rate, and benefits, please see the message at the bottom of this posting.
This position is part time (20 hours per week), benefits eligible, including medical, dental, paid time off, and retirement. Hourly rate is: $18.00.
# **_Position Summary_**:
This individual will deliver a community-based 4-H youth development program which focuses on safe, educational, and fun activities within an after-school setting. S/he will manage/facilitate the delivery of youth services that address locally developed priorities. 4-H activities include homework and literacy tutoring, Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) recreation and life skills, arts and crafts, multicultural education, and community service projects, among many others. S/he is responsible for providing input to program planning and development and for implementing innovative approaches to reach youth and families and to build community-wide support for children, youth and families. This individual will provide supervision to college students, and interns, and guide volunteers and parents to implement a wide range of hands-on learning activities for youth. This position provides youth with programming on a daily basis and will include some night and weekend programming. Planning and office hours are flexible.
Serves as a member of the CCETC 4-H Program and develops working relationships with other 4-H staff and community educators working at CCETC.
## **_Required Qualifications:_**
* Master?s Degree with experience relevant to the role of the position. _Bachelor?s Degree plus 4 years transferrable relevant evidence based research experience may substitute_.
* Experience relevant to the role of the position.
* Ability to motivate, develop and relate to youth ages 5-19
* Ability to actively recruit participants for programs. Ability to work as a team member with local planning groups, schools, professionals and support staff, youth, parents, volunteers, and representatives of other community agencies and organizations.
* Ability to work independently, and in an organized fashion.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate with adults and youth of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds.
* Computer literacy; ability to generate materials, reports, fliers, etc from provided subject matter.
* Demonstrated ability to be in a supportive and empowering role with others.
* Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
* Ability to meet acceptable background check standards.
* Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
* Proficiency with windows-based software including use of the internet and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Excel.
## **_Preferred Qualifications:_**
* Experience, paid or volunteer, working effectively with youth.
* Demonstrated experience in organizing and implementing programs to meet the identified needs of youth.
* Skills in oral and written communication.
* Ability to document program participation and effectiveness.
* Experience with Cooperative Extension or other similar educational organizations.
* Experience in directing and collaborating with volunteers.
* Ability to identify and develop volunteer leadership.
* Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work effectively with advisory boards and committees, community and funding partners.
* Ability to effectively participate in professional team efforts.
* Ability and willingness to work with diverse audiences and maintain cultural sensitivity.
* Ability to communicate effectively through verbal, written and visual channels using traditional methods and educational tools, as well as electronic technology (e.g., video, audio, computers, etc.).
* Ability to identify and utilize program resources from the organization and the community.
* Ability to relate effectively to co-workers, advisors, community and professional leaders.
* Ability to plan and organize personal work responsibilities according to priorities developed with the immediate supervisor.
# Responsibilities/ Essential Functions:
## Program Development (20%):
* 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with development of local 4-H Youth Development after school program, including: educational programs with emphasis STEM, literacy tutoring, homework help, arts, multicultural education, and community service to meet identified needs and diverse interests of participants and volunteers.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader in identification and selection of existing resources.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader in development of program materials to address identified needs.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader in making programmatic changes based on program evaluation outcomes and to meet changing local priorities.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader in structuring programs to meet the needs of diverse program participants.
* Assist with identifying activities and resources necessary to implement initiatives and projects, once program priorities have been determined.
## Program Delivery (45%):
* Deliver high quality with emphasis on STEM, literacy tutoring, homework help, arts, multicultural education, and community service to meet identified needs and diverse interests of participants and volunteers.
* Utilize a variety of educational methods which may include direct teaching, group experiences, media, newsletters, electronic technology, and internet to deliver program.
* Foster acceptance of program, methods, and policies to address community and individual needs and consider diverse audiences.
* Interact with program participants representing CCE in a professional manner at all times.
* Represent CCE before the public, community leaders, government officials, Cornell or other land grant universities in a professional manner as part of program delivery.
* Deliver the Urban 4-H Summer Program during summer months, including specialized programs for youth participants that incorporate outdoor activities and educational field trips.
* Establish links with the community, businesses and local agencies (e.g., libraries, Learning Web) to support and deliver ongoing programming.
## Program Evaluation (5%):
* Assist in analyzing collected program evaluation data for reporting and program improvement purposes using standard, established policy, procedure and methods.
* Recommend program changes to strengthen and improve programs.
* Provide evaluation input to the 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader for reporting to CCETC Committees/Board, 4-H Program Committee, funders, and other stakeholders.
## Direction (10%):
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with establishing program goals and priorities.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with development of program recruitment and marketing strategies.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader in identifying community and fiscal resources for program continuance and enhancement.
* Provide 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with program related information to assist the budget development process.
* Actively reach out to and develop relationships with families on a regular basis.
* Make recommendations to 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader regarding program budgetary needs.
## Management (10%):
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader in monitoring program to ensure that educational content conforms to policies and objectives of the Association and is research based.
* Effectively support supervisor to manage program budget allocations.
* Assist with identifying ways to reduce costs and maximize existing resources within the program.
* Maintain constant communication with families in order to effectively manage program to meet needs of individual participants
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with ensuring volunteer direction and management procedures are followed according to established policies and procedures.
* Provide guidance, leadership and resources for volunteers and volunteer leaders including recruitment, screening, orientation, training, evaluation, and management.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with recruitment training and provide direct supervision for work study and student interns.
## Coordination/ Operation (5%):
* Organize and collect teaching materials necessary for 4-H Youth Development programs.
* Maintain communication with constituents and the community through a variety of methods.
* Assist 4-H and Community Development Issue Leader with coordination of marketing and promotion of 4-H Urban Outreach through public relation initiatives and networking/collaborating with government, economic, educational and other organizations.
* Act as primary contact for program volunteers by passing information on in an organized way in order to coordinate schedules and daily tasks.
* Provide information as requested to assist with preparation of reports, impact statements..... click apply for full job details