Assistant General Counsel - Labor and Employment Litigation
Dollar Tree Stores
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Legal
The Assistant General Counsel - Labor and Employment works closely with Human Resources, Operations and other business partners to provide traditional labor relations and employment law advice and guidance; investigates grievances, ULP and discrimination claims; defends against charges in front of the EEOC, NLRB and other federal and state agencies; and supervises outside counsel in defending the Company in court and arbitration. The incumbent is responsible for creating and supporting strategic and proactive labor and employee relations initiatives, and identifying labor and employment related trends, and risks and opportunities within the Company, and will provide advice and training to internal business partners. Regular travel throughout the continental U.S. is required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop strategic and proactive labor and employee relations initiatives.
- Manage labor and employment litigation/arbitration/agency charges/demand letters/grievances for both Dollar Tree and Family Dollar banners.
- Investigate and prepare responses to agency charges, lawsuits and arbitrations.
- Select and actively monitor outside counsel to ensure effective case handling, with an emphasis on efficiency and cost consciousness.
- Serve as the primary business partner for Human Resources labor relations team.
- Provide advice, counsel and training in the areas of labor relations and employment law.
- Stay abreast of legal trends and communicate proactively to internal partners and clients.
- Ensure compliance with labor and employment relations policies, regulations and laws and identify areas of opportunity.
- Represent the company at trials, hearings, investigations, depositions, mediations, and settlement conferences.
- Oversee, and as necessary prepare, the response to notices, subpoenas, summonses, and other correspondence that require legal action in incumbent s areas of responsibility.
- JD from accredited law school.
- 5+ years of traditional labor law and employment law experience
- Strong oral and written communication and negotiation skills and analytical ability.
- Ability to work successfully with business partners throughout the Company.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout continental United States.
- License to practice law.
- Experience working with Fortune 500 companies.
This is not to a complete list of job duties: You may determine that you should perform other duties or the company assign you other duties. Also, this job description may be amended or added to as needed.