Interconnection Engineer - Offshore Wind
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Mining / Oil / Gas
Our client is seeking an Interconnection Engineer, Offshore for an exciting new Offshore Wind project. Preference Given to candidates local to the east coast.
The Interconnection Engineer Offshore will provide technical support for the development and implementation of offshore wind generation facilities by coordinating transmission and interconnection studies and processes with applicable ISOs, RTOs, and Transmission Owners, including PJM, NYISO, and other areas as applicable.
- Analyze electrical grids to identify new opportunities for interconnecting offshore wind projects.
- Understand interconnection requirements, interconnection processes and Tariff rules.
- Support and coordinate, as needed, the preparation and submission of interconnection request packages for multiple simultaneous projects through entire process.
- Review studies reports and provide technical insight throughout feasibility, system impact, and facilities studies phases.
- Act as the main liaison with ISOs and TOs throughout the execution of required transmission upgrades projects.
- Support technical discussions and negotiations of interconnection agreements with utilities/consultants to make project interconnection timely and costly effective.
- Manage all interconnection related activities for projects in implementation, to ensure completion of all interconnection requests on schedule and within budget.
- Support project on all pre-commercial operation interconnection related issues
- Follow new transmission developments and pending transmission expansion/project plans.
- Coordinate outside consultants to perform work related to interconnection and transmission matters.
- Participate in project team meetings, due diligence review and cross discipline cooperation.
- Stay up to date on matters related to regional transmission development including planned system upgrades, interconnection queue reforms, transmission service study reforms, regional transmission planning efforts, and important market and tariff reforms.
- Requires a BSc EE degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in power systems, utility system planning and transmission planning.
- Strong experience with interconnection processes, electrical grid planning and grid code requirement, in PJM and NYISO.
- Proficient in PowerWorld, PSS/E or other power system software
- Knowledge and experience in renewable energy a plus
- Project management skills a plus
- Outstanding interpersonal oral and written communication skills
- Excellent communication skills to convey technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural context
- High energy, tolerance to pressure, self-motivated, client focused individual
- Great team player, friendly personality with ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Always willing to take the extra step to achieve quality work and bring value to the team and company
Ability to travel every month to the office for 3-5 days at a time.
Approximately 75% of the time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (Microsoft Office, PowerWorld, or other software as required), phones, and general office equipment. Approximately 25% of the time is spent outside of the office visiting vendors' and/or internal customers' sites in addition to attending various conferences and meetings.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.