Laborer - Landfill/Transfer
Rialto, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Trades & Services
Overview & Essential Job Functions
All general laborers employed by Athens Services are responsible for maintaining a clean facility property and entrance roads. It is expected that every general laborer employee will conduct his/her self in a professional manner at all times and perform all duties as assigned in a safe manner. Our general laborers must also be able to communicate professionally with customers, drivers, and supervisors.
Essential Job Functions:
* Maintain landfill/transfer station property and drainage channels clean from debris by manually picking paper, plastic bags, and removing weeds etc.
* Working in Wind/Hot/Cold environments, working around heavy equipment, working among refuse and exposed to dusty conditions.
* Frequent use of hand tools (Sledgehammer, shovel, hooks, drills etc.) and chains, grasping, bending, pulling, pulling, stretching, twisting, stooping, walking on uneven surfaces and lifting * Installing drainage structures.
* Extended periods of standing and working closely with customers and equipment operators.
* Placing tarps on top of trash, and placing tires on top of tarp.
* Move or construct wind fences, make repairs as needed.
* Pick up commodities from tipping area as safety permits.
* Control and direct incoming traffic and direct vehicles to appropriate working area by using appropriate hand signals.
* Cleaning tracks on equipment as needed.
* Enforce traffic regulations. Communicate with customers the traffic regulations and report to Supervisor any violations.
* Ensure proper safety procedures and policies are followed by employees, customers, drivers etc. Attend weekly safety meetings and daily tailgate meetings. Report all violations to Management.
* Required to wear mandatory assigned and approved PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) including but not limited to: hardhat, safety glasses, assigned Hi-Vis uniforms, gloves, steel toe boots, etc.)
* Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Environmental Demands
* 1-year experience working as a general laborer and/or construction environment.
* High School Diploma / GED
* Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to construction operations.
* Ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public.
* Ability to understand and communicate in writing and verbally and follow instructions.
* Ability to observe proper safety precautions.
* Ability to work overtime as needed.
* Valid C Class Driver License.
* Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
* Bilingual English / Spanish
* Standing, walking on uneven terrain, seeing, hearing, & smelling continuously.
* Problem solving, oral/written communication, analytical ability, concentration, & interpersonal abilities continuously.
* Eye/hand coordination, handling, & wrist motion continuously.
* Bending, reaching, stretching, frequently, pushing, pulling and lifting ≤ 50 Lbs. frequently.
* Exposure to dust, smoke, fumes, odors, grease, oil, chemicals, wet/hot conditions, & noise continuously.
* Works outside only.
* Comprehensive benefit package Medical, Dental, Vision
* 401K, Profit Sharing & Match
* Employee Assistance Program
* Life Insurance
* Paid Vacation and Sick Time
* Recognition programs
* Professional development learning
Athens will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance and any other applicable state, federal or local laws. EEO/M/F/disability/veteran