Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine
Barkingside, Greater London, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
The Systems Engineering function supports internally-funded (IRAD) projects and customer-funded (CRAD) programmes through providing engineering resource skilled and experienced in the delivery of the full system life-cycle. At present the function is engaged with multiple high-profile surface/sub-surface Royal Navy vessels along with supporting the next generation of NGSM radar systems.
We are looking for a systems engineer to work primarily on our naval surface ship programmes; This would include working on the Type 45 Destroyer and Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier Programmes.
- Conduct/lead all systems engineering activities including requirements management, verification testing and design assurance.
- Produce/review project technical documentation to project schedule.
- Prepare for and successfully deliver key design reviews (PDR/CDR) in accordance with the programme schedule.
- Technical management of suppliers, ensuring requirements and design baselines are maintained.
- Reviewing and challenging technical documentation received from Customer and suppliers.
- Support/Lead reviews with the Customer and key suppliers.
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved in the delivery of the programme (Hardware, Mechanical, Software, ILS, etc.).
- Ensure all responsibilities are delivered in accordance with Company Standards of Conduct and contractual processes.
Skills & Experience
- Degree-qualified in a relevant engineering / technical subject (e.g. electrical engineering or similar)
- Experience in a systems engineering role
- Experience of systems requirements management, definition, design, integration, acceptance and analysis
- Knowledge of System Engineering models and techniques.
- Able to work with people effectively at all levels, using well-developed influencing and interpersonal skills
- Can Write and speak clearly and can adapt their language as appropriate to the situation
- Able to use logical and creative thinking to solve problems and make decisions
- Able to deal with internal and external customers in a professional way, both in person, over the phone and by email
- Is a team player, and can create, develop and maintain productive working relationships
- Strong IT skills, specifically with MS Office products.
- Knowledge of requirements management tools (e.g. DOORS or similar)
- Knowledge of marine electronic equipment and/or the marine environment
- Knowledge of marine navigation specific standards (e.g. IEC 60945, 61162, 61174)
- Familiar with military environmental standards (e.g. DEF STAN 00-35, 59-411)
- Knowledge and experience of safety critical systems (SIL 2 / 3)
- Experience of conducting EMC/Vibration/Shock qualification testing with external test houses
INCOSE Associate/Chartered Systems Engineering Professional
The role requires the successful candidate to undergo and obtain a Security Check (SC) without restrictions. Please note that in the event that the required clearance cannot be obtained you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.
With over 100 years of history and expertise in navigation, we have established ourself as a major global provider of navigation solutions, including radars, compass systems, steering systems, speed logs, integrated bridge and control systems. We take pride in our commitment to provide 24/7support to all of our customers.
Our company grows because of our employees' dedication and commitment to achieving our mission, something we always remember. In return for working for us you will have access to a benefits package that provides you with flexibility to balance your professional career with your personal life, health & well-being benefits, discount schemes, pension benefits and investment in your future development.
We are committed to equality and diversity in our workplace. Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual's protected status, including race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief, creed, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status or characteristic.