Sr. VMware Engineer/Administrator
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Job type: all
Job industry: I.T. & Communications
**DUE TO CLEARANCE AND FINANCIAL SUITABILITY REQUIREMENTS, CANDIDATES MUST BE US CITIZENS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE**
Our client is seeking a VMware Engineer/Administrator to administer and optimize a VMware environment to maximize uptime, system configuration, and accounting of system data. The successful candidate will support recovery, integrity, availability, scalability and performance of the virtual infrastructure and related components. U.S. Citizenship and background investigation is required; you must have a current clean financial background. Though the position is 8-5 M-F, the role requires flexibility to support issues or planned activities after hours, weekends and holidays as needed. Successful candidate must possess and be able to demonstrate technical skills and engineering attitude for success, dedication and commitment.
Task and responsibilities in this role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Apply high skill with commands, utilities and understand advanced aspects in the engineering and administration of VMware.
- Collaborate with the other server, SAN and application teams, identify operational characteristics, determining the presence of a problem, identifying possible solutions, selecting the most appropriate solution, and implementing that solution in a timely manner in accordance with Change Control Process.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures; contribute to and maintain system standards, policies, and procedures
- Maintains system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, performance tuning, troubleshooting, system hardware, installation, firmware patching, and VMware software patching.
- Strong hands-on experience with vSphere systems administration and support including VMotion, HA, DRS, VDS, Affinity rules, vCenter, storage migrations, and P2V migrations
- Hands-on experience with vSphere problem determination, capacity planning and root cause analysis, vSphere Thin Provisioning, Resource Pools, Host Profiles, and 3rd party plug-ins
- Strong hands-on experience with vSphere Standard and Distributed Switches
- Responsible for the health of the production server infrastructure
- Experience with vRealize Operation Manager and vCenter Server appliance.
- Strong hands-on experience with HP rack mount and HP Blade servers.
- Mentor and train junior/mid-level team members on troubleshooting, maintenance, and administration of the Enterprise ESX environment
- Develop and document SOPs to be followed by 24x7 operations teams
- Continuously evaluate the system for improvement opportunities and make recommendation for enhancement
- Have an in-depth understanding of how the ESX interacts with and is dependent on other core IT infrastructure and systems
- Maintain the security compliance and configuration management of the ESX system
To qualify, you must meet these basic qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience directing system-level design and configuration of products including determination of hardware, OS, and other platform specifications.
- 3+ years of experience demonstrated professional expertise managing and operating VMware Horizon
- 3+ years of VMware ESXi 5.x,6.x experience
- Certifications in Core VMware technology including VMware vSphere, vCenter, Application Virtualization, and Horizon View.
- An in-depth knowledge of Windows Server and Desktop Environments (Windows 7, Windows Server 2008/2012/2016).
- A thorough understanding of the desktop image build process and recompose efforts
- Experience with performance monitoring tools, specifically vROPS
- Excellent communication and documentation skill
It would be great if you also had:
- A BS or equivalent + 5 yrs related experience, or MS + 3 yrs related experience