Social Service Aid
Air Force Personnel Center
Elmendorf Afb, Alaska, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for **IMPORTANT** additional information.
The primary purpose of this position is to conduct interviews with clients, administer assessment questionnaires, provide training to individuals at risk for family maltreatment, and assist other staff members in the research and evaluation of the Family Advocacy Program (FAP), to ensure compliance with DoD Directives and agency FAP Standards.
Learn more about this agency
* Explain Program Services, requirements, policies and procedures; and obtain pertinent history and other case information to be incorporated in the file as background for planning indicated services. Provide basic counseling services to clients.
* Document interviews, and evaluate the relevance of information collected to the problem described by the client. Develop initial tentative conclusions as to appropriate referral sources or recommended treatment to the staff.
* Administer assessment data collection instruments required to individuals referred. Process and score assessment questionnaires initially and on a follow-up basis as specified by the research program.
* Participate with the staff in the development and implementation of outreach/prevention, resource and referral, and treatment programs for individuals, families, and groups needing assistance with different problems and issues.
* Participate in the development of action plans Outreach Prevention Team. Identify opportunities to use volunteers in the annual needs assessment and other programs.
* Recruit volunteers, plan, and conduct training sessions for them; prepare agenda for the case management team meetings, compile statistical data, and prepare a variety of recurring reports.
* Use varied and advanced functions of word processing software to create, format, modify, edit, and print a variety of letters, reports, memos, and other textual documents.
### Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
0186 Social Services Aid And Assistant
#### Similar jobs
* Assistants, Family Service
* Assistants, Human Service
* Assistants, Social Service
* Family Service Assistants
* Human Service Assistants
* Social And Human Service Assistants
### Conditions of Employment
* Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
* U.S. Citizenship is required
* Males must be registered for Selective Service, see
* Total salary varies depending on location of position
* PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
* Recruitment incentives may be authorized
* Position may be subject to random drug testing
* Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
* Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
* Employee may be required to maintain current certifications
* A security clearance may be required
* Disclosure of Political Appointments
* This position is subject to provisions of the DOD Priority Placement Program
* Per National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of fiscal year (FY) 2017. Section 1111 modifies 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3326; Veterans who are retiring within 180 days of appointment effective date may require a 180 day waiver package
* If position is identified as having "regular contact with children," in accordance with public law, a criminal background check must be completed
**For GS-05:** The successfully performance that may have included group leadership work, typically as a proctor for a group of residents in an institution, school dormitory, or other Government facility, **OR** successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree that (a) included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of subjects directly related to the work of the position, (b) included a major in social behavior, human behavior, or health care or; (c) was supplemented by specialized experience as described above for GS-4 **OR** a combination of specialized experience and education.
**For GS-06:** One year of specialized experience as a Social Services Aid and Assistant equivalent to the GS-05 which equipped you with knowledge in direct support of professional counselors or other specialists who counsel the unemployed or underemployed, **OR** at least one full year of graduate education directly related to the knowledge skills and abilities required for this position, **OR** a combination of specialized experience and education.
**For GS-07:**One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-06 level in the Federal service. This experience included work in direct support of the professional and related social work staff, either in and/or out of the social service office. The outside work primarily involved assisting with contacts to the clients, their families, and representatives of community organizations, **OR** one full year of graduate education directly related to the knowledge skills and abilities required for this position, **OR** a combination of specialized experience and education.
**For GS-08:**One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service. This experience may include work in the professional and related social work staff, either in and/or out of the social service office. The outside work primarily involved contacts with clients, their families, and representatives of community organizations, **OR** successfully completed two (2) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree in behavioral or social science, **OR** a combination of specialized experience and education.
**For GS-09:** one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-08 level in the Federal service. This experience may include work which involved assignments that regularly combined two or more areas of work. Specific examples include collecting specific case information from individuals and families served and from other neighborhood sources for the use by a supervisor and providing information to persons served about program's services, requirements, procedures and community resources, **OR** successfully completed two (2) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree in behavioral or social science, **OR** a combination of specialized experience and education.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
**KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (****KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:**
1. Practical knowledge of Family Advocacy and other programs requirements and procedures and basic methods and techniques of counseling.
2. Knowledge of word processing automation software function to support office operations.
3. Knowledge and skill in developing an education curriculum with learning objectives and outcomes.
4. Skill in tactfully interviewing clients.
5. Skill in typing may be required.
6. Ability to work well with others in a team setting; and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
**PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:**Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
**VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE:**Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY:** You **MUST** provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
**FOREIGN EDUCATION:** Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
### Additional information
This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level.
..... click apply for full job details