Single Family Underwriting Senior
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Administration
At Freddie Mac, you will do important work to build a better housing finance system and you'll be part of a team helping to make homeownership and rental housing more accessible and affordable across the nation.
The Single Family Underwriting Senior position ensures the quality and integrity of underwriting decisions and processes. This includes investigation, tracking, reporting and working across divisional lines to achieve resolution of issues, as well as ongoing consultation.
- Complete full loan file quality control underwriting review to cover all aspects of credit, capacity and collateral to determine investment quality and alignment with credit philosophy.
- Department underwriting results help to determine customer defect rates and sampling methodology and provides quality control guidance and feedback to Freddie Mac seller/servicers.
- Manage a pipeline of loans assigned each month, to meet production and quality requirements.
- Request missing documentation necessary to complete the underwriting review.
- Write clear and concise repurchase letters to customers identifying defects discovered in the loan file.
- Validate delivery data in Freddie Mac systems.
- Proactively identify and monitor adverse trends and report findings.
- Develop strong relationships with internal business partners who support assigned customer base.
- Evaluate and redesign quality assurance and risk management practices as needed and provide resolutions to an extensive range of complicated problems.
- Work under limited direction and independently determine and develop an approach to solutions.
- Serve as liaison to Vendors and other Freddie Mac partners in the Securitization process.
- Typically has 5-7 years of recent mortgage underwriting experience
- College Degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and create a positive attitude within the team
- Ability to follow existing processes, yet challenge those processes when appropriate
- Must be self-motivated and able to perform investigative processes
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office
Keys to Success in this Role:
- Robust analytical skills
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work effectively with continuous change and short deadlines
- Demonstrated business acumen, problem solving skills, intellectual maturity and relationship management
- Ability to prioritize duties to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner. Flexibility in terms of working hours and adjustment of work hours during critical periods.
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal skills and the ability to handle confidential information
Current Freddie Mac employees please apply through the internal career site.
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you'll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with differing abilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Notice to External Search Firms: Freddie Mac partners with BountyJobs for contingency search business through outside firms. Resumes received outside the BountyJobs system will be considered unsolicited and Freddie Mac will not be obligated to pay a placement fee. If interested in learning more, please visit and register with our referral code: MAC.