Services Specialist 9/10/P11 Mackinac County (Case Manager/ Investigat
State of Michigan
Saint Ignace, Michigan, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
**This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply**
**Michigan Families need your help****......**
The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
**ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:**
* Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
* Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
* Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
* Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
* Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
* Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
* This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at ;=youtu.be prior to applying for this position.
Required Education and Experience
Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
*Services Specialist 9*
No specific type or amount is required.
*Services Specialist 10*
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
*Services Specialist P11*
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
**When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.**
*This position is located in St. Ignace, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human*_Services, 199 Ferry Lane, St. Ignace, MI 49781._
***Why Mackinac County?***
* Mackinac County is located in Michigan's Northern Peninsula, just north of Michigan's Lower Peninsula. Its shoreline border's Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
* Mackinac County is county is home to two of Michigan's perhaps best known landmarks, the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island.
* Based on the recent US Census estimates, the county's population is 10,890 and median household income is $38,690.
* Mackinac Island is famous for its historical sights, The Grand Hotel, beautifully maintained Victorian buildings, unique and impressive limestone formations, scenic natural beauty and its famous fudge.
* Events in Mackinac County include the Labor Day Mackinac Bridge Walk, The Mackinac Island Lilac Festival, St. Ignace Heritage Days, Native American Festival, and the Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Tournament.
* The Hiawatha National Forest provides 4 season outdoor activities including hiking, fishing, boating, camping, snowshoeing and cross country skiing.
* The 4,600 mile North Country Trail passes through Mackinac County and St. Ignace has been designated a trail town by the North Country Trail Association.
* Also home to the Les Cheneaux Islands which are a cluster of 36 islands along Mackinac County's, Lake Huron coastline. The bays, channels and coves of the islands provide ideal sailing and boating conditions. The Islands' natural setting provides a myriad of year round outdoor activities.
* Five light houses Round Island Light Station, Round Island Passage Light, St. Helena Island Light, Wawatam Light, and White Shoal Light.
* There are two casinos, the Kewadin Casino of Hessel and the Kewadin Shores Casino.
* Other local museums and attractions include Fort Mackinac, Fort de Buade Museum, Museum of Ojibwa Culture, Top of the Lake Snowmobile Museum,Garlyn Zoological Park, Castle Rock and Deer Ranch.
**PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY**, **T****o be considered for this position you must:**
* Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
* __**Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":**__
* __**If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? **__
* __**How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? **__
* Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
* Attach a cover letter.
* Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).** We accept scanned copies of official**** transcripts.**Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature**. _Select this link to see an example of an official transcript._**
* **As a Condition of Employment ?**this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
* Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
* During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
* Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis.
**YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE** **CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY** **THOSE** **APPLICANTS** **INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS. Failure to**
**complete** **any of the above items may result in your application being screened out.**
**DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE.**
**See** **instructions** **for** **attaching files here: _Instructions_**
For further information regarding this posting please contact Kari Salmi at or
*Salary:* $1,552.80 - $2,399.20 Biweekly
*Location:* St. Ignace, MI
*Job Type:* Permanent Full Time
*Department:* Health and Human Services - Counties
*Job Number:* SS - Mackinac
*Bargaining Unit:* UNITED AUTO WORKERS (UAW)
*Agency:* State of Michigan
*Address:* 400 South Pine Street Lansing, Michigan, 48909