Senior Vice President, Gale Product
Farmington, Michigan, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Executive Positions
Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
The Senior Vice President, Gale Product is responsible for developing and implementing the strategic direction for all Gale digital programs, products, and content publishing ($230MM) within a dynamic global market. The Senior Vice President will work collaboratively with Sales and Marketing, and Technology to execute against strategic plans and to meet and exceed financial targets. The Senior Vice President will transform the product organization from content publishers into digital innovators that partner with libraries to empower learning around the world.
What You'll Do Here:
• Lead a team of experienced professionals including seven (7) product teams consisting of: Academic, Public, K12 Product Management teams; Content Strategy & Development; Indexing and Metadata; Licensing & Business Development; plus a 150 FTE product organization.
• Senior member of the Gale Leadership Team (GLT) which is accountable for the strategy, execution and financial results of a global division serving customers on six continents.
• Develop and implement a product vision and roadmap. Direct Product Management to partner with Agile software engineering team to build content and technology solutions that allow librarians and educators to achieve better research and learning outcomes.
• Implement multi-year strategic plan to drive revenue growth across digital product lines-digital eBooks, databases, archives, services-and print. Lead new product development of "must-have" solutions that begin and end with the user in mind and sustain high operating margins
• Instill in the Product Managers a close connection to customers-- school, academic and community libraries-- and revenue and profit accountability.
• Align with multi-channel Sales & Marketing teams and work closely with Managing Director of Gale International to ensure goals are shared, information is communicated effectively, and activity is focused on achieving shared financial targets
• Lead the development of technology initiatives to ensure market-leading interoperability with courseware, learning management systems and learning technologies. Optimize metadata and indexing to drive discoverability and usage on the open web and library systems.
• Leverage new technologies such as A.I. and data analytics to innovate first-to- market product offerings that revolutionize research in digital humanities and social sciences.
• Lead content publishing for Gale reference content and the Thorndike large print business, creating new content that relates to high-interest, curriculum-related topics.
• Apply a boundaryless mindset in partnering across Cengage divisions (e.g., Higher Ed, National Geographic Learning) to deliver a superior learning experience to more students and educators.
• Attract, develop, and retain top talent while building a "bench" capable of assuming higher-level responsibilities quickly and competently.
• Travel as needed to customers and industry and company events and meetings.
• Performs additional responsibilities as needed, and applies talents to new situations and changing/ambiguous environments.
Skills You Will Need Here:
- BA/BS degree with a Master's degree preferred
- Minimum 10-12 years progressively responsible experience with digital product development and management in publishing, educational technology, information or software.
- Proven ability to innovate breakthrough products and practice user-centered product design.
- Proven success at understanding and implementing content strategies in digital products.
- Proven leadership ability; demonstrated capacity to collaborate and build alignment across functional areas and within cross-functional project teams; strong people motivator and developer.
- Successful experience leading or teaming with go-to-market teams accountable for revenue and with finance teams to deliver bottom line profits
- Highly developed problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills with ability to provide honest and timely feedback.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including with customers and public speaking
- Ability to lead both internal and external teams in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated success at handling multiple projects and tasks, and meeting established deadlines
- Global operating experience working across multiple time zones, languages, cultures and laws.
- Proficient in data analytics of market and product trends and customer behaviors
- Agile software development experience
- Pragmatic Marketing training
- Experience with educational products, markets and Cengage or it's competitor's products.
- Knowledge of scholarly and periodical publishing.