Senior Tax Accountant
Semaphore Tax and Business Solutions
Irvine, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Accounting
The Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for preparing and reviewing Client's tax filings such as sales tax, property tax, business tax, business license, and federal & state income tax returns ensuring all tax requirements are met and maximum tax benefits are realized. Furthermore, the Senior Tax Accountant will support the Client's tax planning initiatives; overseeing all tax audits and notices, and provide tax information and research & resolve tax related issues.
The right individual will be a self-starter with attention to detail, as well as understanding the needs of a growing business. The Senior Tax Accountant assists Tax Accountants in a team setting by providing guidance and knowledge sharing. The successful candidate will work closely with the Tax Manager on special projects, must be able to maintain confidentiality, and communicate current project status reports effectively and directly to the company's Tax Leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Plans, organizes and implements the preparation of income tax returns.
· Prepare and review Client's tax filings such as sales tax, property tax, business tax, business license, and income tax.
· Ensures client compliance with calculating and paying quarterly estimated taxes.
· Oversee tax audits and notices by various taxation authorities and resolve tax related issues.
· Perform Nexus studies and coordinate the registration process in new states and jurisdictions.
· Perform various analyses to arrive at tax efficient strategies and structures in order to maximize tax savings or minimize tax exposure.
· Provide technical expertise in complex tax issues and provide analysis regarding new tax laws & regulations.
· Review tax returns prepared by Tax Accountants; electronically file tax returns.
· Provide tax research and technical advice on federal, state and local tax issues.
· Advise on tax issues relating to domestic and international transactions, acquisitions and reorganizations.
· Provide tax support across all levels of the Company, including but not limited to special projects and initiatives.
· Participates, organizes and help lead staff training.
· Strong understanding of federal and state income tax laws as it relates to corporations (both C & S-Corp), Individuals, Partnerships & LLCs, and Trusts.
· Entrepreneurial mindset.
· Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines on budget.
· Ability to handle difficult situations and resolve them to the client's satisfaction.
· "Street smart" / able to think on your feet.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Must always be friendly and willing to provide assist others.
· A good memory for remembering data and details.
· Excellent computer and typing skills.
· Must be punctual and able to put in flexible working hours.
· Be a good listener and exhibit sound judgment while supervising staff.
· Desire to work in a fast-paced job environment.
· Able to critically analyze all situations and solve problems effectively.
· Current with Internal Revenue Code changes, including the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
· Bachelor's in accounting required. Masters of Taxation is a plus.
· 5 - 7 years of accounting experience.
· Must be well versed with business, personal, and estate areas of taxation.
· Experienced in QuickBooks and Lacerte tax software.
· Advanced knowledge in Tax & GAAP Accounting methods and procedures.
· Exceptionally strong MS office skills especially Excel.
· Need to be well organized with a proven ability of successfully juggling multiple assignments and a strong track record of meeting deadlines.
· Excellent verbal and written skills a must.
· Highly motivated.