Senior Back-end Engineer
SafeBoda 65000.00 Euro . EUR Per annum
Barcelona City, Barcelona, Spain
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: I.T. & Communications
Salary: €45.000 - €65.000
Expires at: 2018-10-30
Who we are?
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. At the click of a button, SafeBoda provides a safe, more convenient, mobile-first transportation platform for Africa's booming young population. Based in Kampala & Nairobi, we are a Series-A funded fast growing ride-hailing platform that is having huge impact for millions in East Africa.
In 2016, we launched our platform on Heroku with a MongoDB, PHP Back-end with front ends on web, iOS, and Android. In 2018, our daily ride numbers increased 30x. We are now in the process of raising Series B financing and are going to use it to modernize the engineering platform and upgrade our Back-end technology operations.
We have a passionate and highly engaged team based mainly in East Africa and we are looking to quickly grow the Barcelona team to speed-up the growth and make sure we can build exciting verticals on the SafeBoda platform. We're searching for engineers who are looking for the opportunity to work for an international company, as well as the challenge of being an early member of our Barcelona team.
We are currently migrating our legacy Back-end application from PHP to Elixir and breaking the monolith into Elixir umbrella apps. We use Postgres as our main database but use MongoDb for some parts of the application. We cache heavily with Redis. Our web applications are built with Angular but we're slowly moving to Vue.Js. Kotlin and Swift are the language of choice for our Android and iOS apps respectively.
What you will do
Lead the effort to rearchitect our current legacy application
Own your work: lead projects from concept to completion. You're in control of your own success.
Build & improve code for new and existing products
Practice and encourage software engineering best practices: reasonable test coverage, appropriate modularization, designing cohesive interfaces, and making the call on technical trade-offs.
Collaborate in technical reviews to strengthen our architecture and system designs.
- 6+ years experience in software development
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with functional programing languages
- SQL and NoSQL knowledge
- Demonstrated experience producing readable and testable code
- Knowledge of current trends in software design, architecture and web services (especially REST)
- An attitude of accountability and knowledge-sharing-you enjoy reviewing others' code and sharing your knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills - you can spar with engineers, product owners and other stakeholders
- English language fluency
- Experience with PHP/Laravel, Elixir/Phoenix
- Have worked with Google APIs (Maps and Places)
- Experience with automated build and deployment tools
- Be part of a passionate team that is changing the mobility landscape in Africa.
- Employee stock-option plan.
- Opportunity to travel to East Africa and interact with the product and our multi-cultural team.
- We believe that distance is not a barrier to build a great company culture - we replicate our last Friday of the months drinks at our different offices and can't wait to have our first inter-continent ping-pong tournament.