Refrigeration Field Service Engineer
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
At Brooks, new ideas, new technologies and new ways of thinking are driving our future. Our customer focused culture encourages employees to embrace innovation and challenge the status quo with novel thinking and collaborative work relationships.
All we accomplish is grounded in our core values of Customer Focus, Achievement, Accountability, Teamwork, Employee Value and Integrity Job Title Refrigeration Field Service Engineer Job Description
Brooks Life Science division is the leading worldwide provider of automated compound and biological sample storage and management. Brooks focuses on retaining long-term sample integrity, data storage and security. With the largest installed base and support network for automated sample management systems, Brooks has more than 180 systems worldwide, including installations in all of the top 20 global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. From standardized bench top systems, to the world's largest custom installations, Brooks is the name scientists rely on.
We are looking for a commercial Refrigeration Field Service Engineer to provide on-site and remote service support for Brooks products, based in a remote home office in the US. A good working knowledge of commercial / industrial refrigeration systems is essential. You would be working on ultra-low temperature refrigeration systems and as well as more conventional -20c stores. Experience of these ultra-low temperature systems is not essential as training will be provided.
Perform basic/routine customer support activities involving the installation, modification, repair and preventive maintenance of Brooks' equipment and systems generally at customer sites, to ensure proper working order. Works under supervision following established policies and procedures to ensure company and customer quality standards are met. Discretion and independent judgment are required resolving customer issues. Candidate may be assigned to support a specific customer site, region, or Product, depending upon business needs.
- Install, modify, repair, conduct preventive diagnosis, and perform maintenance on the software and hardware of the equipment and systems while adhering to Brooks' policies, procedures and work direction of supervisor or shift/site lead.
- Identify parts, part numbers and order using our ERP system
- Provide first stage refrigeration remote support to our helpdesk and customers
- Interface with customers to ensure customer satisfaction with equipment and service levels.
- Instruct and train customers on proper system usage Attain Equipment Service and Operation Certification on equipment and systems as defined. Submit reports, such as Service and Status Reports, on all support activities as defined and required. Complete service reports, record work completed in ERP system and communicate results to our customers.
- Communicate service and customer issues back to Service Coordinators
- Follow up on all open issues as directed and work to provide solutions to the customers
- Follow Service Co-coordinator's directions to respond to customer issues Maintain a safe and clean working environment by conforming at all times to Brooks and customer's work protocols and policies and maintain sound engineer and good refrigeration practices at all times. Communicate to the Engineering department improvements in quality, easy of service and efficiency
- Evaluate the performance of refrigeration systems. Gather data that may be used by refrigeration engineers for cooling repairs and share with the team
- Travel to customer sites throughout the US and internationally on rare occasion. Total travel would be up to 70%
- Productively react to changing priorities such as Tool or Line down and escalations and support organizational and administrative duties.
Work performed generally will be to support global needs. International travel is required at times. Work schedule is to align with customer needs. On rare occasions, individuals may be asked to be on-call, or work on holidays, or weekends.
- High school degree is required. AS degree, technical certificate or equivalent is desired. A minimum of 5 years related "hands-on" work experience or military technical training is required of commercial/industrial refrigeration systems.
- Refrigerant handling qualification (EPA) required
- Must possess excellent communication skills with the ability to read, write and speak with clarity in the English language and interface effectively with customers and peers.
- Must be able to read and quickly understand wiring schematics
- Requires excellent systematic troubleshooting skills utilizing a structured and comprehensive process to determine the root cause of an outage, with the ability to handle problems independently and implement corrective action.
- Displays commitment to resolve problems and make independent decisions based upon the priority of the problem in relation to business needs.
- Self-motivated and able to productive working independently
- Able to communicate complex problems efficiently
- Must be available and willing to travel, domestically and internationally as needed, and be available for specific emergency on-call work. Depending upon business needs travel can vary greatly to as high as 70-80% of the time.
- Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record, reliable mode of transportation, qualified to obtain a credit card for expenses and able to obtain a valid passport for the term of employment.
- Must be qualified to meet the requirements of background screening by a third-party agency.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, climb ladders, scaffoldings, and use Personal Protective Equipment.
- Must be able to work in awkward positions and in confined spaces.
- Must be proficient with use of a PC, Windows, and DOS based Operating Systems. Oracle experience highly beneficial but not required. Be able to use the company's standard software to generate reports, presentations and document the daily activities as defined and expected by your manager.
- Excellent refrigeration controls knowledge, including PLC's; working knowledge of Saia PLC control systems desirable but not required.
Brooks Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company considers candidates regardless of race, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.