Quality and Food Safety Intern
Bimbo Bakeries USA
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Hospitality & Tourism
Have you ever enjoyed Arnold®, Brownberry® or Oroweat® bread? A Thomas'® English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee®, Entenmann's® or Marinela® cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Come join the largest baking company in the world and our family of 20,000 associates nationwide!
Support under general direction in the implementation and improvement of the quality and food safety systems, receiving and plant Sanitation program to ensure that products, facility and processes meet the Quality and Food Safety standards defined by Bimbo Bakeries USA in accordance with regulation.
Top reasons to work at Bimbo Bakeries USA:
- Great starting pay:
- Sophomore - $17/hour
- Junior - $18/hour
- Senior - $19 /hour
- Growing organization & increased demand for products!
- Schedule accommodations may be made for those who are able to perform the essential duties of the job!
- Intern/Co-op program is a six-month program!
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for undertaking all necessary tasks and monitoring programs to assure compliance to quality and food safety laws and regulations.
- Test for shelf life, Mold surveys, pH/TTA, micro comparison, and competitive product scoring and sensitive ingredient testing.
- Coordination and execution of the Environmental Monitoring Program, Mold and Yeast and annual Water testing program.
- Verification of thermometer and scales.
- Coordinating samples submission (including packaging and shipment) as requested by RQL, R&D, Corporate, etc.
- Responsible for raw material, in process or finished goods inspection and quality control.
- Verify that packaging, labels, ingredients, and finished products meet standards.
- Monitor policies and procedures for opportunities to improve.
- Interpret quality control requirements and develop or recommend quality control standards and procedures.
- Maintain and organize records in compliance with company and regulatory guidelines.
- Administer documentation of corrective actions resulting from audits in conjunction with Quality Food Safety Manager.
- Develops and maintains productive, respectful and collaborative working relationships with peers, subordinates and superiors.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Department Manager
- Supports quality and food safety implementation and improvement projects.
- Additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by supervisor.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA ("BBUSA") includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
- Education: Pursing Bachelor's Degree in any Food Science or Baking Technology.
- Excellent organizational and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Ability to connect with people across hierarchies and develop strong relationships.
- Must possess strong computer, and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to analyze data, multi task and problem solve in a challenging environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including off shifts, weekends and overtime if needed.
- Capable of working in an environment that is subject to:
- Inside work, protected from weather conditions as well as outside conditions.
- Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour that is process related and more extreme in summer months.
- Noise sufficient to require hearing protection in designated areas.
- Hazards such as proximity to moving parts, electrical current and moving objects carrying considerable weight and force.
- Flour dust.
- Requires the ability to read, write and communicate in English in order to understand and follow work and safety instructions. Must be able to perform basic arithmetic to include adding.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.