QC Chemist (Oil, Marine Fuel, Petroleum)
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Mining / Oil / Gas
Position Title: QC Oil Chemist
Location: Corbin, KY, (1 year), then New Orleans, LA
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Schedule: Days, No Shift Work
NES Fircroft is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the energy industry. Our client, a privately owned energy technology company, has a permanent opportunity for a QC Oil Chemist to be based in Kentucky for one year with transition to New Orleans, Louisiana area.
This position will initially be based at their Demo Plant (DP) in Corbin, KY which is intended to iron out any remaining issues before the larger scale facility is commissioned in St Rose, New Orleans, Louisiana area in Q2 2022.
This is the start of a journey with our client that will ultimately lead to the creation of multiple production plants across the globe near key markets, of which the company seeks to becom
Our client is constructing a Demo Plant (DP) to test its powder drying and oil blending system to produce the quantities necessary to run its OEM engine and other test trials. This DP is intended to iron out any remaining issues before the larger scale facility is commissioned in the New Orleans, Louisiana area.
Our client is seeking a full-time Quality Control (QC) chemist with experience in fuel oil analysis and blending. The QC chemist will provide quality control support for incoming raw materials and manufactured products (across the entire production process cycle including, in process analysis and finished product testing) to ensure the highest standards of quality and product consistency are maintained. Extensive experience working for a major fuel testing lab and/or a background including additive technology could well be a distinct advantage. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company where you can add value and obtain career progression on a fast track to Lab Manager and also work internationally.
Although the role is initially based at our site in Corbin, Kentucky, the candidate will ultimately move on to carry out their full duties within the main c. one million tonne p/a drying & blending plant located in the New Orleans, Louisiana area.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the pilot and main plant laboratory whilst ensuring good laboratory practices are implemented, documented and sustained
- Prepare and test samples/conduct routine analysis from all phases of manufacturing with the goal of determining if the material meets the internal/external standards (accept/reject batches accordingly)
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining testing in accordance to ASTM and/or ISO standards
- Adhering to frequent calibration schedule of laboratory and production equipment ensuring regular servicing and maintenance registers logged
- Record keeping including batch sheets, loading sheets, SOP's, calibration records and specifications
- Conducts oversight management for any testing that is outsourced from company
- Ensure the site QC processes align and support product specification and specific customer requirements
- Assist with supervision of batches in production, investigation of production problems, finding re-work outlets for redundant product.
- Fully competent and fully compliant in the safe operation of equipment (with appropriate training), including; particle size analyzer, dispersion, sedimentation, viscometers, ash and more
- Works effectively to ensure fast paced delivery deadlines are met
- Articulate and able to effectively report to an international matrix management structure
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or Equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years' professional experience in quality control (QC) as a chemist.
- Relevant analytical experience with the following testing methods:
- viscosity (using viscometers),
- density (using pycnometers),
- ash content,
- S and metal analysis (using ICPMS or XRF),
- sedimentation (experience/ understanding the use of hot filtration tests),
- particle size analysis (laser diffraction & Hegman Gauge).
- Understanding of oil and particular fuel oil specifications based on ISO and ASTM standards.
- Experience with ISO 8217 is a big plus.
- Experience testing marine fuel, crude oil, petroleum distillate fuels, or hydrocarbons required.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, good attention to detail, well organized and the ability to succeed in a high-pressure and fast paced environment.
- Competent in using IT systems; including e-mail, Microsoft Word and Excel.
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of a fast-growing privately owned energy technology company who are driving forward innovative solutions to create a cleaner world. The successful applicant will receive a competitive annual compensation package, annual bonus, LTIP/ equity stock option, medical benefits, life insurance, PTO, holidays, and more. On top of competitive compensation, the candidate will join a forward-thinking with plenty of opportunity for professional career growth locally and internationally. For further information regarding this role, please contact Mishu Ventura.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.