Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY)
New York City, New York, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Other
Department: Downstate Construction
Location: New York (Five Boroughs), NY
Position Title: Project Manager
Grade/Classification: 6(D1) Senior Professional
FSLA Status: Exempt
Hiring Rate: $88,113
Application Deadline: January 16th, 2020
The Project Manager manages all aspects of construction projects, and oversees all functions necessary to provide value added services to client agencies for full and modified service projects.
- Represent DASNY as primary liaison to client agency.
- Meet with client agency and make recommendations regarding project approach.
- Develop and monitor project scope budget and schedule, and prepare related reports as required.
- Manage and participate in the selection of design and construction consultants.
- Monitor the development of project drawings, documents, and specifications.
- Coordinate bid advertising, review bids, prepare bid summary and recommend contract awards.
- Assist in the drafting of design and construction contracts.
- Schedule, coordinate and monitor all project activities among applicable DASNY staff/units, consultants, contractors, governmental agencies, and other project entities through project closeout.
- Conduct joint scope and job progress meetings, and deliver monthly reports as dictated by project scope.
- Ensure consultant and contractor compliance with all DASNY procedures.
- Manage all aspects of consultant and construction contracts including review and approval of consultant and contractor requests for payment, change orders, amendments, reduction in retainage, extensions of schedule and contract closeout.
- Oversee consultant and contractor deliverables through thorough understanding of contract deliverables, pre-construction meetings, construction manager orientations, project health assessments, monthly project meetings, and contract closeout checklists.
- Develop documents, prepare, and maintain reports for client agencies and DASNY management through updating of project information utilizing internal systems.
- Continuously evaluate the performance of architects, engineers, contractors, and construction managers utilizing internal A/E/C CM evaluation system, and ensure all evaluations are complete at project closeout.
- Supervise field staff including assigning, managing, and prioritizing workload and allocating work among staff.
- Ensure quality is maintained in accordance with the original intent of construction documents through coordination with construction managers/contractors and/or management of material testing and inspection consultants, review of daily field reporting, and coordination with internal quality resources.
- Participate in the documentation, negotiation, and settlement of claims.
- Ensure the retention and maintenance of records and files both on and off-site as appropriate.
- Assist in the development, administration and testing of construction-related software tools and applications.
- Establish necessary procedures and monitor progress to accommodate the requirements for acquisition of Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Approval of Occupancy, Certificate of Occupancy and Code Compliance Certificate.
- Conduct surveys and inspections of existing facilities to determine design and construction defects and rehabilitation requirements.
- Pursue new business opportunities with client agencies on behalf of DASNY.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Train and evaluate employees.
- Develop, document and implement procedures.
- Assess, develop and implement internal controls, and oversee the review and testing of same.
- Assist management in the development of policies.
- Undertake special assignments as directed.
- Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
- Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Information Technology Services. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Supervision of employees is required.
Requires travel (may be frequent), using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires exposure to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, heights (climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.) and other work-safety hazards (chemicals, fumes, etc.) of a construction site. May require time-pressured decision-making. Must be available to occasionally work a modified work schedule or extended workday hours.
Official station may be located at a construction field site. If not, frequent site visits will be required. Requires use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder, Global Positioning Systems field location devices.
Bachelor's degree plus three years relevant experience as a DASNY Senior Assistant Project Manager, including two years supervisory experience or successful completion of designated supervisor training during probationary period, or Bachelor's degree plus three years experience as a DASNY Field Representative (grade 3 D schedule/grade 4 D-1 schedule), including two years supervisory experience or successful completion of designated supervisor training during probationary period, or Bachelor's degree plus seven years relevant experience including two years supervisory experience or successful completion of designated supervisor training during probationary period, or a NYS Professional Engineer or Architect license with twelve years relevant experience including four years supervisory experience.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or a construction industry related field plus five years experience as a DASNY Senior Assistant Project Manager or Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or a construction industry related field plus five years experience as a DASNY Field Representative (grade 3 D schedule/grade 4 D-1 schedule) or Bachelor's degree in construction industry related field plus ten years relevant construction industry experience with public or private projects. NYS Professional Engineer or Architect license. Minimum two years supervisory experience. PC applications and construction systems experience. (Primavera project management and scheduling applications preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to read and comprehend plans, specifications, addenda, bid materials, contracts and related construction documents.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
- Proficiency in PC applications, such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and/or participate in team endeavors.
- Demonstrated record of taking initiative.
- Demonstrated management skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Basic knowledge of management principles.