Private Equity Associate
Allen & Overy LLP
Guildford, South East, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Consulting & Corporate Strategy
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries all over the world. We're built on the work of talented and motivated people, in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We operate at the forefront of the legal industry, and our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We're thoughtful and inventive, and we've developed a culture of in which difference and openness is positively valued, where people are free to be themselves. We're one global team, supportive and collaborative but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
A&O's Corporate team advises across the broad spectrum of corporate work including public takeovers, private M&A, ECM, complex joint ventures, disposals and corporate restructurings, as well as general commercial, antitrust and corporate governance issues. Recognised as a leading adviser on M&A and other corporate transactions we are able to combine exceptional transactional skills with specialist expertise including antitrust, employment and benefits, environmental, intellectual property and tax. This enables us to handle the numerous issues that can arise in a single corporate transaction. We have an exceptional track record in every sector and particular strengths in highly regulated industries.
Our integrated private equity practice advises leading private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies including:
Advent, Apax, Apollo, Blackstone, Bridgepoint, Carlyle, Charterhouse, CVC, Exponent, EQT, OMERS Private Equity, PAI Partners and Providence. Along with our loans practice and significant high yield bond capabilities, we are one of very few firms able to provide a fully integrated offering and to advise across the entire capital structure.
Cross-border work is where we excel and the majority of our transactions have a multi-jurisdictional focus. Our corporate team spans all of our offices and works seamlessly with a global community of relationship law firms giving us access to over 100 other countries. Strong teamwork and efficient working practices and uniform approaches enable us to manage cross-border deals effectively and seamlessly. This platform provides our clients with the confidence that they will receive the highest quality advice in both their domestic markets and as they expand into new territories.
• Corporate Partners, Associates and the wider team
• Business Development Manager
• Wider A&O community
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an associate to join our private equity team in London's Corporate department.
Role and Responsibilities
• Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
• Providing strategic guidance to clients
• Managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
• Business development - development of personal plan, assistance with and implementation of business development campaign
• Legal research
• Qualified lawyer 4+PQE
• Strong technical knowledge with regards to private equity
• Strong transactional experience
• Outstanding academic credentials
• Intellectual curiosity and versatility
• Self-starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
• Detail-focused and self-motivated approach
• Strong organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
• Excellent client relationship skills
• Ability to operate at associate level within a complex international organisation
• Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the partner and fee-earner community, building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
• Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
• A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility
Who we are looking for
We are ideally looking for a highly motivated lawyer who combines good academic credentials with sound practical experience, good business judgement and strong interpersonal skills. Candidates should be articulate, show a genuine interest in the subject and be committed to their continuing development as a lawyer. We are looking for a lawyer with the potential and ambition to be a leader in their field and who takes responsibility for, and pride in, the team's work product.