Principal Mechanical Engineer
Daresbury, Cheshire, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
As part of the team at PM PROjEN you will be tasked to ensure successful mechanical engineering delivery on all projects and assignments in terms of quality, safety, time and cost.
In addition to technical delivery you will provide support to the Head of Department in terms of providing technical guidance to Engineers and Designers within the team.
Job Role & Responsibilities (include but not limited to)
* Ensure overall mechanical engineering and design objectives are achieved, i.e. safety, cost and time outcomes vs. technically sound solutions, risk minimisation and quality.
* Continuous review and improvement of mechanical engineering processes and project deliverables.
* Development and issue of design specifications and data sheets, conduct Technical Bid Analysis from tender returns and technical documentation.
* Development and issue of construction scope of work packages (installation, destruct, tie-in, insulation, etc.)
* Provide discipline input into FEED reports
* Liaison with clients, vendors, subcontractors and external consultants.
* Support Factory and Site Acceptance Testing and commissioning activities.
* Where dictated by business need, assume overall responsibility for mechanical deliverables and oversee 3D design scope of projects.
* Ensure overall compliance with and continuous improvement of IMS/Project Procedures and Engineering Standards are met including Project Risk Assessments (identification, reduction, mitigation and control).
* Use of documentation templates and development of new templates where required.
* Ensure conformance to current legislation, standards and best practices.
* Estimating of man hours and work scoping for input into proposals.
* Review of documentation for technical acceptability.
* Ensure via regular reviews that the mechanical engineering inputs are progressing in accordance with the project plan; early notification of items slipping or issues causing delay
* Regular discussion with vendors during tendering process and post order placement to ensure technical acceptability and delivery in accordance with schedule.
* Ensure scope creep of projects is identified via the use of Design Change Notes and Variation Orders and early warnings are given to the client. Provide discipline input into change notes.
* Ensure all aspects of health and safety are met in projects, through CDM and H&S reviews.
Qualifications & Experience
* Hold a Bachelor's degree in related subject (e.g. mechanical engineering although a HNC or HND with appropriate level of experience will be considered.
* Preferably a Chartered Engineer with IMechE, or working towards.
* Proven level of experience in mechanical engineering and design projects.
* Ideally have direct project and sector exposure in PM PROjEN's core sectors; Advanced Manufacturing & Technology, Chemical, Petrochemical, Materials Handling, Energy & Environmental and Gas
* Experience or aptitude for guiding and mentoring other IMechE engineers.
* Proficient at interpreting and supporting generation of P&IDs, CAD models and plant layouts.
* Display a professional approach and demeanour towards tasks and others.
* A strong ethical approach to safety, quality, environmental protection and business.
* Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with clients and peers at all levels.
* Flexibility to travel as and when required to meet demands of clients and their projects.
* Must possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to be flexible and to be able to multi-task and prioritise when necessary.
* Must be well motivated, able to work as part of a team or in independently when required