Principal Engineer I - Provisioning and Applications
Greenwood, South Carolina, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Client Reference Code: 239137
Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company's telecommunications and signal processing hardware, software and electrical systems. Works with technical operations staff on system design and configuration. Works with design teams and advises team leaders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance platforms owned by the Service Delivery Systems teams.
- Mentors and guides the work of technical staff.
- Act as a liaison between application development staff and operations, providing insight and subject matter expertise where appropriate.
- Develop and peer-review documentation related to operational tasks.
- Collaborate with application developers, network and cloud engineers to plan, document and execute business-critical projects.
- Identify business or internal needs and develop scripts (primarily BASH and Python) to automate where appropriate and aid operational efficiency.
- Perform health checks and continual analysis on application and system performance metrics using a variety of resources including embedded system software and third-party applications such as Wily and TeamQuest (JVMs), OP5 and Xymon/BigBrother (OS), and others.
- Accountable for the development and maintenance of documented procedures for deployments, upgrades, patching, and troubleshooting of a wide variety of issues, with a focus on Hardware, Software and Operating System level areas (with coordination with management peers of other groups as appropriate)
- Work with application owners to identify system components and to document data flows between systems as well as between boundaries.
- Maximizes performance by both monitoring and analyzing performance, troubleshooting problems, tuning, optimizing, and balancing.
- Review planned changed documentation to determine accuracy and compliance to Charter standards.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, Information Systems or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of Seven (7) years of Linux/Unix Operating systems experience.
- Minimum of Seven (7) years of Apache Tomcat and JBoss application administration.
- At least Seven (7) years of LDAP-related technologies such as NetIQ eDirectory and Ping experience.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, vendors, in-person, on the phone and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward and professional manner.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of ticketing systems (Remedy, ServiceNow, JIRA)
- Expert level knowledge of message brokers such as ActiveMQ and RabbitMQ
- Advanced knowledge of systems architecture
- Advanced knowledge of SOAP and REST APIs
- Advanced knowledge of least one of the following scripting languages: BASH, Python, Perl
- Working knowledge of cloud-based systems infrastructure
- Working knowledge of network design, architecture, protocols and topology including TCP/IP and the OSI Model
- Working knowledge of MySQL and Oracle databases
- Familiarity with network devices such as routers, switches, firewalls and load balancers
- Ability to perform duties in a very fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Ability to create detailed documentation
- Knowledge of BPS (Broadband Provisioning Systems)
Job Code : EGN601 Principal Engineer I Exempt