Part-time, Early Outreach Specialist - 2 Pool - Business Resource Cent
Lane Community College
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
# AA/EEO Statement
## AA/EEO Statement
Lane Community College is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Veteran / Disabled Employer embracing equity, inclusion and accessibility. We encourage a safe and hospitable environment for women, minority, veteran and disabled candidates.
* Lane actively recruits Veterans and those with Disabilities for all positions. For accommodations and questions call .
* Veterans, please fax, e-mail, mail or deliver your documentation (DD214/DD215/letter of disability) to Human Resources ,
# Position Information:
## Applicant Notification
#### Search Information
* This is an applicant pool posting. First review date for applications may be as early as _September 18, 2018_. Subsequent review dates will be based upon department need. Lane reserves the right to modify this information.
* Your application will remain in the pool until a decision is made on your candidacy.
* Provide all documents as requested; a resume may not take the place of any one section of the application.
* Unofficial or Official Transcripts are required for this position at the time of application. See instructions below.
* Incomplete applications will not be considered. Ensure all employment and education dates are filled in.
* Candidates will be able to implement and ensure an ?equity lens? is used to assess, implement and maintain systems and structures that are inclusive and respectful.
#### How to monitor your application
1. Enter into your safe sending list. Notifications will be sent toward the end of search process. Be sure to check your spam mail.
2. Visit your Employment Opportunities account. The main page will show your status in the search. * See applicant instructions. Positions close at 9:00 pm.
## Salary/Compensation Statement
All employees are compensated through electronic direct deposit.
* Part-Time Benefits may be available for qualified employees.
Schedule may vary with hours increasing up to 40 hrs a week during peak periods, up to 1039 hours in a 12-month period.
## Working Schedule
Part-Time; Variable work hours based on department needs; Schedule may vary with hours increasing during peak periods up to 34 hours per week, up to 1039 hours in a 12 month period.
Usual work schedules vary from 5 to 20 hours per week.
# Required QUALIFICATIONS
## Required Education
#### Total of two (2) years of post-secondary education or training with course work in business subject areas
* One (1) year of post-secondary education invalving course work in counseling, human resources, human services, psychology, education or a related field.
## Required Experience
* Two (2) years of experience as instructional assistant, tutoring, or direct instruction.
* Two (2) years of experience in counseling, student advising, student activities, women?s programs or a related field.
# Preferred QUALIFICATIONS
## Preferred Education
* Bachelor?s degree in a related field.
## Preferred Experience
* Experience in tutoring business subject areas.
* Experience with Lane Community College Business content and instructional methodology.
* Experience and understanding of various learning styles.
* Experience working in a community college.
* Experience counseling, advising or working in student support capacity in an educational setting.
* Experience working with Moodle or another Learning Management System (LMS).
## Bilingual/Multicultural Statement
Multicultural experience and bilingual proficiency in World languages is preferred.
A demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance the concepts of social justice and culturally competent behaviors is expected.
## Equivalency Statement
Equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered for meeting minimum qualifications.
Applicants are responsible to show how their personal training and experience would qualify them for the position.
## Position Purpose
To provide outreach to students who are identified by their instructors as showing behaviors which detract from their potential to successfully complete their business course. Through dialogue, inquiry, goal setting, accountability and student motivational techniques, the outreach specialist supports the student to assume full responsibility for their academic success and completion.
## Essential Functions
* Act as first point of contact for students who have been identified by their instructor, including responding via email, in person and on the phone as well as monitoring and maintaining Moodle platforms.
* Help students create, pursue, and complete individualized success plans and activities that address career, academic and financial goals.
* Develop and maintain relationships with students which encourage academic success, progression and retention.
* Work closely with faculty to identify support needs.
* Assist students in solving problems through discussion. Provide referral to appropriate college staff, to a counselor, to an advisor or to an outside agency.
* When necessary, use interpersonal skills to calm emotionally upset individuals until assistance is available.
* Use tact, diplomacy and confidentiality in dealing with students.
* Problem solve and manage sensitive information with appropriate awareness of FERPA standards; maintain confidentiality and sensitivity to the privacy needs of students.
* Provide tutoring in business subject areas and support for students: help diagnose student difficulties with business related topics; answer questions related to homework problems with attention to instructor intent and methodology; reinforce problem solving skills; provide additional explanations and examples to clarify concepts; refer students to supplementary materials; and refer students with extensive remedial or diagnostic needs to their business instructors or campus resources.
* Assist students with Testing: assess student readiness for testing; clarify test dates and procedures; reinforce test-taking skills; and facilitate testing.
* Follow division and college policies and procedures.
* Other duties as assigned.
#### Equity and Inclusion
* Demonstrate Lane?s core value of social justice by ensuring equity and inclusion skills such as respect, inclusiveness, reflecting, valuing of cultural and personal differences, are the basis of employee and student interpersonal communications and relationships, and are applied to all position responsibilities.
* Duties are carried out respectfully inclusively, regardless of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, social class, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran?s status, nationality, age, language, origin or employment status.
* Must demonstrate an active concern for meeting the needs of students, staff, and the public.
## Supervision Statement
Reports to and works under the general supervision of an instructor or other supervisor. A head teacher, center or lab coordinator may be available to assign work, provide priorities and troubleshoot problems on a daily basis. Work is performed independently using specialized experience and training. Work is reviewed for the quality of assistance provided.
## Physical Demands/Working Environment
This position works indoors and is exposed to usual office working conditions that includes office noises and interruptions, such as printers, telephones, and visitors. This position requires that an employee be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time; perform cognitive and psychometric work for more than six (6) hours a day. This position may work with individuals who may be hostile or abusive. Work may require transporting materials up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
## Knowledge Skills and Abilities
#### Knowledge of:
* Business subject areas
* College/departmental policies and procedures.
* College programs, structure, policies and information sources.
* FERPA standards.
* Campus and community resources.
#### Skill in:
* Applying tutoring principles and practices to tutor students in business subject areas.
* Working with people from diverse cultures and from a variety of ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
* Active listening.
#### Ability to:
* Provide positive reinforcement and encouragement to students; assess the learning needs of students; maintain a patient, caring and respectful attitude with students; communicate and work well with students and staff from diverse backgrounds; assist with maintaining efficiencies in the tutoring and self-paced math instructional areas; encourage proper study habits; work independently; work under pressure; meet deadlines; and be on time for scheduled shifts.
* Interact with students, staff and the public in a pleasant, tactful and courteous manner.
* Provide students with accurate advice and appropriate referral.
* Establish rapport with a diverse student population.
* Act as a positive role model and mentor for students.
* Exercise patience.
* Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
* Prioritize tasks and take initiative.
* Work independently and as part of a team.
* Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
* Provide support to employees working to meet accreditation standards through evaluation and assessment of student outcomes.
## Applicant Instructions
#### Applicant Instructions
..... click apply for full job details