Optical Design Engineer - Lasers
Vector Recruitment 40000.00 British Pound . GBP Per annum
Aston, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
We are looking for an enthusiastic, bright and versatile Optical Design Engineer to join a dynamic company focusing on developing Laser and LED systems across a wide range of applications. As the Optical Design Engineer, you will apply your skills in physics and mechanics of optical devices to the development of LED and Laser platforms. This will include new 'blank-sheet' designs and customizing application specific solutions from the existing product range which will require liaison with customers and suppliers.
Optical Design Engineer responsibilities:
* Development of optical concepts and designs for laser module products through a combination of modelling and practical testing.
* Prototyping, testing and validation of concepts and products, creating appropriate documentation of results and build process.
* Support customer related optical enquiries.
* To have a hands-on practical approach, where appropriate, to the design and test process of products.
* Liaison with customers, suppliers and production activities.
* Providing technical support to sales, marketing and production.
* Being capable of communicating optical designs and constraints to other team members.
* Adherence to documentation control procedures to satisfy ISO9001 requirements.
The product development process involves the generation of detailed specifications with the customer, development of the design concept, detailed mechanical, electrical and optical design, prototype testing and validation, and new product introduction.
Requirements for Optical Design Engineer:
* Optical Engineering qualification.
* Experience in design and development of optical designs.
* Experience with optical design CAD packages (such as Zemax)
* Ability to work in a practical manner and a willingness to be involved with the required tasks.
* An understanding and willingness to accept other constraints that will affect the overall product other than the pure optical design.
* A willingness to be flexible to the approach to the daily work tasks, and be capable of working on a number of parallel tasks.
* Good communication within a team.
* Experience in taking the optical design (the components required, and positions of) and translating that into a laser module mechanical design within a CAD design package (Autodesk Inventor preferred) is a distinct advantage.
* Knowledge in, or experience of, mechanical packaging of optical and electronic components.
* An understanding of thermal aspects that may affect the entire design.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Good communication skills, verbal and written.
Salary: £20000-£40000 (depends on experience)
Location: Hertfordshire - commutable from London, Stevenage, Chelmsford, Bishop Stortford, Braintree, Harlow etc.
The successful candidate for this role should be innovative, practical problem-solver and a good communicator, capable of working on their own initiative in a multidisciplinary team environment