Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Our client an indpendent Oil & Gas company are looking to add a Mechanical Engineer to work from their Norwich offices.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for providing discipline-specific support to help achieve the
objectives of securing the reliability, availability, and operability of a wide range of mechanical
equipment. The equipment includes, but is not limited to, static equipment such as piping, valves,
filters, vessels, pumps, reciprocating engines, reciprocating compressors, and diesel engine-driven
Working within the regulatory framework and appropriate engineering standards, an engineer in this
role is expected to help keep our mechanical equipment operable as required and in optimal
condition, fuel-efficiently and with minimal unplanned intervention.
This is an initial 12-month contract position working Monday to Friday, however the role may
require periodic travel to other assets. It will be available on a PAYE basis and candidates must have existing right to work in the UK to be considered.
• Provide mechanical engineering support to a variety of departments including Operations,
Maintenance, Projects, Metering and Integrity
• Provide engineering guidance and visibility during operational shutdowns
• Help eliminate mechanically-related production losses by measuring equipment
performance, identifying improvement opportunities, planning, risk-assessing and
implementing cost-beneficial improvement initiatives; undertake root cause failure analysis
and make effective use of intrusive maintenance programmes by co-ordinating the
requirements of differing trades for the same equipment
• Help deliver maintenance strategy and policies, prescribing equipment-specific routines
• Monitor maintenance requirements and effectiveness and help minimise both mechanical
maintenance backlogs and interventions through regular review processes
• Specify, cost-analyse and procure replacement equipment in timely manner, ensuring client
specifications and legislative requirements are met, such that equipment breakdowns and
plant outages are minimised
• Complete required documentation and assurance systems, such as work planning, the
submission and assessment or approval of Change Management applications, the update of
equipment and documentation databases and the publication of reports
• Manage costs by controlling spends with third-party vendors and promote a 'cost-challenge'
culture to secure value and cost-effectiveness from suppliers and contractors
• Be able to utilise an electronic maintenance system such as Maximo
Safety & Environmentally Critical Tasks:
Valve and Actuators
Fundamental knowledge requirements for Mechanical Engineers supporting the performance
testing, assurance, maintenance, and failure analysis of actuated and non-actuated valves.
Safety & Environmentally Critical Courses:
CompEx Ex11 Mechanical Competence or equivalent
• Ideally, HNC, HND or Engineering degree-qualified with at least 8-10 years' experience in the
oil and gas offshore industry.
• Detailed operational knowledge of oil and gas industry mechanical equipment and a sound
knowledge of engineering, maintenance, and planning.
• Able to give timely guidance to management on the history and health of equipment such
that major costs and outages are predicted, planned and budget approved.
• Diligent, hard-working, team player able to solicit help and co-operation from junior and
senior colleagues, impartial and supportive of change
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.