Mechanical Design Engineer
Manpower 240.00 British Pound . GBP Per annum
Portsmouth, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
We have an amazing opportunity for a Mechanical Design Engineer to work with our client in Portsmouth. You will be working from 8:30am - 5.00pm paying £30 p/h / £240 per day (Ltd). Your role is to work within the Design team as a Senior Mechanical Design engineer with direct responsibilities for all aspects of the Mechanical design process, within the scope and expectations of the business process and procedures.
- Supporting the main design team to provide best-in-class design solutions, in response to product specifications, on time, in line with CTL's core / NPI project teams; with the requirement to ensure all activity is completed, whilst working to Company design and development procedures, within project constraints
- To manage, with the support of the Design Engineering Manager, subcontractors in the successful development of associated tooling for both components and processes. (Mould tooling, press tooling, turned parts as well as, when required, assembly equipment in association with interaction of the operations team)
- To generate detailed product design documentation in relation to the project using the full range of design tools available to achieve six sigma designs meeting the DFM requirements. (DWG's, MFA, FEA etc) and document all work in-line with the company's design and development procedures.
- Take responsibility for the evaluation and validation of designs and optimisation of costs and quality, including current production product problem solving as required.
- To provide product design support for other key projects as required by the Design Engineering Manager.
- Liaise with all internal and external contacts
- Costs of allocated development project
- Based in Portsmouth, frequent travel between two sites of Poole and Portsmouth. Some travel to suppliers or customers may be needed. (10%)
- Familiarity with six sigma design and manufacturing environment
- A demonstrated, structured approach to problem solving in design engineering and manufacturing environments
- Experienced Design for Injection moulding, press tooling, turned parts and the associated material selection
- Technical Skills & Specific Knowledge Required (specific skills and knowledge required for the position)
- Design engineering skills including 3D CAD (solid edge and CREO Ideal but not essential)
- Ideally six sigma trained with FEA, MFA skills
- Familiar with six sigma tools and team work activity / assessment including DFA, DFMA, DFMEA and PFMEA
- Fully PC literate. Including standard office software
Skills and Education
- A good level of degree in Mechanical Engineering / Design Engineering / Product Engineering or other appropriate education
- A background of demonstrated product design and development in a discipline applicable to
- Effective communicator and Excellent organisation skills
- Lead and influence a team