Lock and Dam Operator
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
Red Wing, Minnesota, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Manufacturing Operations
About the Position: This is a permanent, seasonal position with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Operations Division, Lock and Dam 3. The applicant selected to this position is required to complete and pass the USACE Inland Marine Technology System (IMTS) Lock and Dam Operator Training and Certification Program. You will serve as a Lock and Dam Operator performing a variety of maintenance, repair, and operational duties at a navigation lock and dam on the Upper Mississippi River.
- Lubricating bearings, gears, and other moving parts.
- Assisting in repairs to electrical circuits and machinery or small electrical and mechanical motors.
- Adjusting, lubricating, and/or performing preventive maintenance to a variety of power tools, equipment and machinery; painting gates, bulkheads, service bridge machinery.
- Operate electrical and/or hydraulic controls for filling and emptying valves to raise and lower water level.
- Operate controls to open and close lock gates.
- Handle mooring lines on the lock walls, operate tow haulage units, and position vessels at the lock site
- Enter lockage data into LPMS (Lock Performance Monitoring System).
- Operate roller and trainer gates for control of water level of the pool.
Minimum Qualifications: Ability to do the work of a(n) Lock and Dam Operator without more than normal supervision. Ability to perform common tasks including various simple maintenance or repair tasks utilizing mechanical or electrical equipment. Operate simple electrical or mechanical equipment such as lawnmower, hedge clippers, floor buffer, jackhammer, power threader, power wrench. Work under supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who reviews work for completion. Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.