Lead Organizer - ACLU of Alaska
ACLU of Missouri
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
## Lead Organizer - ACLU of Alaska
June 4, 2018
The American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska is looking for a full-time Lead Organizer, who will build community connections and support coalitions to advance civil liberties for all people in Alaska. We are poised to undertake more comprehensive strategic advocacy, enhance our statewide presence, and address broader and deeper civil liberties concerns throughout Alaska; the Lead Organizer will help make this possible. The Lead Organizer will report to the Policy Director and, though based in Anchorage, will require periodic travel throughout the state. This position is for 18 months, though it may be extended based on funding.
The ACLU of Alaska is the Alaska affiliate of the national ACLU, the nation?s oldest and largest protector of the Bill of Rights. We are Alaska?s premier civil rights and civil liberties advocate, and are a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that integrates litigation, public policy advocacy, public education, communications with the media and our members, and coalition building and grassroots organizing to defend and expand Alaskans? constitutional rights and individual freedoms. As part of the ACLU?s 100th anniversary in 2020, and in the wake of the Trump administration?s daily assaults on civil liberties, the ACLU of Alaska is embarking on its most ambitious advocacy yet, which includes eliminating discrimination against LGBTQ individuals, dramatically reforming the criminal justice system, paring back the national security state and strengthening the right to privacy, ensuring that all Americans can freely and easily vote, and defeating perennial attempts to restrict women?s right to safe and legal abortions.
Anchorage consistently ranks as one of America?s top 10 cities: with 300,000 residents, it has typical big-city amenities of diverse restaurants, cultural attractions, good schools, and a major international airport with regular flights to Seattle (just 3? hours away) and the rest of the Lower 48 plus summer flights to Asia and Europe. Surrounded by mountains and water, Anchorage offers hiking, boating, fishing, and skiing, and one can see moose, bears, eagles, and whales in town. With almost 20 hours of daily summer sunlight and winter?s northern lights, Anchorage offers the best of everything in the only state without any sales or personal income tax.
### **Job Description and Responsibilities**
* Develop, in coordination with other ACLU of Alaska staff, and implement organizing campaigns centered on ACLU of Alaska?s issue priorities;
* Identify key civil liberties and civil rights issues, aligned with the ACLU of Alaska?s priorities, through active inquiry of community needs, interests, and visions;
* Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU of Alaska staff to execute large and effective community actions (community forums, rallies, trainings, engagement with elected officials, etc.);
* Organize ACLU of Alaska outreach and educational activities at public events and forums, including training others in the community to conduct similar types of events, and manage follow-up with attendees to assist and encourage them to act;
* Supervise and strategically deploy ACLU of Alaska volunteers, members, and supporters as effective advocates for civil liberties;
* Coordinate local actions of nationwide ACLU grassroots initiatives;
* Develop and deepen strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities across the state, and help build and participate in coalitions by fostering, strengthening, and nurturing alliances with potential partner organizations and targeted community groups;
* Speak publicly on behalf of the ACLU of Alaska and help coordinate the speaking opportunities for other ACLU of Alaska staff;
* Draft brief educational materials, flyers, and action alerts, and prepare reports on engagement and outreach activities and outcomes.
* Passion for and solid experience in community organizing or social justice advocacy, preferably on issues that fall within the ACLU?s strategic priorities;
* Exceptional interpersonal skills, including an ability to form groups and navigate and resolve conflict in a manner that values and respects relationships with colleagues inside and outside the ACLU of Alaska;
* Experience working in and with diverse coalitions preferred;
* Experience leading teams; ability to listen, guide, and support people to achieve common goals;
* Excellent organizational and administrative skills; keen attention to detail; ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects at various stages of completion with minimal direct supervision; good problem-solving skills and a positive, professional attitude with sound judgment, flexibility, determination, and good humor in a fast-paced, sometimes high-pressure office;
* Ambitious, creative, and results-oriented initiative and a desire to learn, pitch-in, and anticipate new projects; ability to collaborate, including working closely with colleagues at the ACLU of Alaska and national ACLU, as well as with board members and volunteers;
* An absolute commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards;
* Willingness to work beyond 9 to 5 and to travel throughout Alaska as needed; and
* Commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstance;
* Fluency with computers and Microsoft Office. Experience with database programs, social media, and working knowledge and experience with VAN desirable; and
* Discretion and an absolute commitment to maintaining the confidentiality of all ACLU matters.
This is an exempt, full-time, at-will position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, a 401(k) plan with an employer-match, and generous vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received but will be accepted until the position is filled, which will not be before June 11, 2018. Please email PDFs of your letter of interest, r?sum?, and three professional references to **** with the subject ?**Lead Organizer**.? Please state in your letter of interest how you learned of this position.
*The ACLU of Alaska is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.*