Lead Data Scientist - San Mateo
San Mateo, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
We are looking for someone who is passionate about leading a team of data scientists to apply machine learning and statistics techniques to solve business problems. You will collaborate closely with engineering teams, PMs, cross functional business units and address a wide range of challenging problems using techniques from applied statistics, machine learning and/or data mining fields. Key problem areas include the following:
- Product Recommendation and Personalization : providing personalized product recommendations and user experience for sports fans in e-commerce sites as well as on emails.
- Inventory optimization : forecasting demand and optimizing the quantity and location of inventory.
- Product Search and Ranking : developing ranking schemes for products in online search and site landing pages to optimize site experience.
- Pricing and promotions : models and algorithms for relevant pricing and promotions for products and customers over time.
- Recruit new talent, grow, motivate and mentor a team of data scientist
- Define the research vision for data science, and oversee planning, resources, and prioritization to make sure the team is advancing that roadmap. Deliver on concrete work that advances that roadmap.
- Help develop and test predictive algorithms to be implemented as part of internal tools and customer facing applications such as product search, personalization, CRM
- Build solutions all the way from research to delivery on a large scale production system, collaborating along the way with other data engineering and product teams.
- Professional experience as a data science leader, setting the vision for how to most effectively use data in organization, either through technical leadership as an IC with ownership over a research agenda, or developing a team as a personnel manager in a new area
- Expert-level experience with a wide range of quantitative methods that can be applied to business problems, including personalization, product search, product recommendations, fraud, inventory forecasting
- Strong algorithmic thinking and passion for empirical research to answer hard questions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills on quantitative topics for a variety of audiences with ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis, analytic approaches and findings in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Expertise in designing and evaluating A/B experiments for new algorithms and monitoring key performance metrics, share the results with a wide audience
- Overall 10+ years of industry experience in data science and machine learning with few years of experience leading and managing data science projects and teams,
- Bachelor's or Master's degree is required ( PhD preferred) in relevant fields such as Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence focus is preferred