SHE Lead Safety Management Systems
Kingston, Sussex, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Purpose of the job: describe in 1 phrase what contribution the job is expected to make to the organisation's objectives
The SHE Lead - Safety Management Systems is the subject matter expert for the company safety management systems and the site operating management system, providing technical advice on a broad range of SHE issues to operational & engineering personnel in the goal of safe, reliable and compliant plant operation.
It is core to the role to uphold, promote and demonstrate adherence to the the company 20 behavioural & process safety principles, as well as the life saving rules in all activities undertaken. This means the role has accountability for the development of many SHE systems and processes, in the form of local procedures and practices, that incorporate current legislation and company policies.
Environment/Context: describe the most important internal and external factors influencing the job
The SHE Lead - Safety Management Systems will own and govern a number of policies and procedures under the local operating management system and as such, the role will be required, independently with minimal supervision; to make critical decision in this area without the direct input of the SHE / Asset Managers. The role shall be required to work within the company group policies but will have the freedom to interpret those policies for application at a local level. The role shall work closely with the Asset Managers and the SHE manager, taking guidance where needed, for key business decisions that involve, for example, spending money or drawing on critical resource that may compromise safe, reliable and compliant operations. In addition, the role has an accountability for legislative compliance and as such, it will be one of a number of key contacts for the Health and Safety Executive for SHE matters.
Accountabilities of the job: describe the main results expected from the job
The job-holder shall be
- Deputy and primary support to the SHE manager as required.
- Responsible for compliance with the site operating management system (OMS) and company policies such as the IGGNs.
- Manager of OMS elements covering regulatory compliance and incident management.
- TAR SHE Lead, managing the TAR SHE Management team, developing & implementing TAR safety plans & managing TAR SHE statistics.
- Responsible for upholding and embedding into the organisation the the company SHE management system that includes the life saving rules, the 20 safety principles and IGGN's, through training programmes and development of operational systems.
- Advisor for a broad range of SHE issues to operational & engineering personnel to achieve safe, reliable, compliant plant operation for the the company site in Hull.
- Owner of specified SHE relevant SSO's ensuring the are updated in line with company and legislative standards.
- A point of contact to support / supply SHE input to the management of change process, in particular, attending SHE reviews or supporting risk assessment as required.
- Primary contact for SHE support to one of the Asset Managers.
Level of education & Experience in general
- Professional HSE qualification such as NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years in an oil, gas or petrochemical business
- Experience of a COMAH top tier chemical plant operation.
- Experience in working with operating teams.
- Experience in the Permit to Work system.
- Auditing experience.
- A broad understanding of Health, Safety and Environmental issues and a passion to continually improve SHE performance.
- A broad understanding of engineering and operational activities.
- A knowledge of HSEx systems, controls & legislation.
- Ability to develop and implement change.
- A good communicator, that keeps the SHE Manager and Hull Leadership Team aware of the company health and safety policies, including changes in legislation and current the company and industry practice.
- Act as the primary contact between the site and the Health and Safety Executive, promoting a good working relationships with the regulator.
- Provide training on HSEx systems, controls & legislation.
- Self-motivated, ability to work on their own and as a team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that impact on team and contractor performance.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with a high level of tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to build both internal and external networks at various levels.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage timelines and meet key reporting deadlines.
The SHE Lead - Safety Management Systems has a responsibilty to ensure the company Hull stays compliant with legislation and conformant with company standards. Success will be measured using self-verification and auditing. Key KPIs will be maintained by the SHE Lead - Safety Management Systems who shall be responsible for making sure they are relevant, met and reported up through the line to the local leadership, in particular, where those KPI's indicate that standards are not being maintained.
In addition, annually the role shall be set a number of priorities that will be reviewed and managed throughout the year. The priorities will be formally assessed and discussed with the SHE manager at both the mid-year point and at the end of the year as part of the the company performance development programme.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.