Electrochemist (Cell Engineer)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Science & Technology
The position's primary responsibility is to perform electrochemical tests of R&D products, primarily in coin cell format. The candidate must have experience with the implementation of new battery testing capabilities, the use of battery testing instrumentation, be able to demonstrate strong hands-on expertise in a wide range of electrochemical techniques, and interface with a large amount of data. The ability to collaborate with multiple groups, and the ability to provide electrochemical learnings to a broader project team, are a must.
- Follow safe laboratory practices in compliance with EHS, safety officers, and delegates to ensure that the laboratory is a safe work environment. Recognize potential safety issues, document and discuss them with management, and take action to rectify them.
- Coordinate the installation and benchmarking of electrochemical testing instruments.
- Develop test protocols and compile technical scripts with battery testing equipment.
- Conduct electrochemical measurements of various formulations and cell chemistries.
- Implement validation methods to ensure the integrity of test data.
- Collect and analyze battery test data and draft reports as necessary.
- Update test procedures as needed and maintain detailed tracking record of experiments and performance observations.
- Interact with team members and serve as the battery testing liaison for the department.
- Conduct routine maintenance of lab tools and troubleshoot battery equipment. Assume responsibility for assigned laboratory equipment, ensure that they are properly maintained and serviced, and facilitate their use by other scientists.
- Keep Program Leader informed of progress and activities. Participate actively in department and project meetings.
- Maintain close collaboration with fellow scientists in a team environment that is focused on achieving commercialization success.
Required Education and Experience
- PhD degree in electrochemistry, chemistry, or other related scientific disciplines.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in electrochemical testing.
- Good understanding of lithium ion battery chemistry.
- Fluent in electrical/electrochemical evaluation techniques such as battery cycling methods, conductivity measurement, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, cyclic voltammetry, and four probes technique.
- Demonstrated ability in the initial set up and optimization of the above capabilities.
- Familiar with glovebox operation and battery testing equipment, such as Maccor.
- Proficient in building R&D-level coin cells, with ability to train and oversee other team members or technicians.
- Demonstrated expertise in both full-cell and half-cell testing.
- Demonstrated proficiency with electrochemical testing data analysis and interpretation.
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to combine theory with empirical observation and design tests to determine the source of undesirable outcomes.
- High attention to detail, accuracy and precision.
- Have strong organizational and planning skills, and ability to prioritize and manage time effectively to meet project timelines and commitments.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to translate technical jargon to plain language for a broader audience.
Desired Experience and Competencies
- Expertise with analytical techniques used for post-mortem electrode surface analysis and interpretation of results.
- Ability to link electrochemical performance to fundamental principles of organic chemistry.
- Strong background in application of DOE principles and experience with DOE software.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.