Director of Software Engineering
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Title: Director of Engineering
Location: Seattle, WA / Remote (can work remotely)
To qualify for this role, you have extensive experience developing scalable and performant web applications and services that power these websites with progressive experience as a leader. You have designed, built and maintained high volume, mobile first, consumer facing web applications and have a firm grasp of cloud services and APIs as well as Dev Ops. You have architecture experience and have been involved in re-architecture initiatives, ideally monolith to microservices.
What you will do:
- Provide technical thought leadership in development tools and techniques; articulate ideas and ROI to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Based on agreed overall architecture, define coding standards for the development team and ensure adherence to these standards.
- Provide detailed code reviews and assess overall code quality and flexibility.
- Optimize the overall software development process making improvements where necessary to drive increased productivity and quality.
- Establish strong working relationships with technical teams working alongside a variety of technical resources, including offshore and remote team members.
- Build trusting and collaborative relationships within the cross-functional product teams that enhance strategic initiatives with internal and external partners.
- Operate at both a strategic and tactical level, using hands-on technical skills when required.
- Assist in analysis and resolution of complex production support issues.
- Become familiar with product vision, business strategy and understand the rhythm of the business, organization and performance measures
- Management of High Availability web sites, APIs, services and cloud platform
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management and non-technical leaders
- Organize and prioritize technical projects on quarterly roadmaps
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach for projects
- Management of departmental budgets, resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a strong engineering team
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of 5+ years' experience working in a web application e-commerce environment, including development and support of high-availability transactional websites.
- Deep technical competency in designing high-performance, high-scalability, n-tier and microservice architectures.
- Well versed in Ruby.
- Good understanding and experience of information architecture and user-centric design.
- Good commercial awareness and ability to evaluate ROI for technology driven projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff, including senior management team.
- Solid experience with AWS, and ideally with Heroku in AWS.
- Has worked in a DevOps environment.
- Worked on mobile first programs, including IOS and Android native applications.
- Experience working with agile development methodologies (Scrum and Lean).
- Must be able to work effectively in a complex, diverse, changing environment where ambiguity and uncertainty can be common.
- Adapts well to and is energized by change whilst maintaining focus on key business goals and personal objectives.
- Ability to drive to a technical solution while always keeping a focus on meeting the overarching business objectives.
- Familiar with standard design patterns applicable to enterprise software.
- High awareness of both established and emerging technologies relevant to high-volume websites.
- Broad knowledge of network technologies applicable to a secure, fault-tolerant production website.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to troubleshoot complex issues.
- Experience with Atlassian Product Set