Director of Engineering
Blue Bottle Coffee
Oakland, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Blue Bottle is on a mission to bring delicious coffee to everyone who asks for it. We are in search of an innovative Software Engineering Manager to lead our business systems engineering team. This role will focus on driving the development and integration of leading-edge tools to manage cafes, coffee roasting, culinary production and supply chain - enabling us to rapidly grow our online presence and retail locations.
As our Engineering Director you will collaborate with our leadership team, business owners, and product managers to develop innovative and effective solutions. You must have extensive experience with software architecture, object-oriented design, project estimation, agile methodology, test automation and experience managing dev teams. You will be leaned on heavily for strategic direction of the team and their projects.You will:
- Plan, design and develop technical solutions to our website, systems, tools and business challenges, breaking down solutions into manageable sized components for our technical team members
- Evolve our software architecture to incorporate new business and technical requirements while maintaining and improving our existing our system
- Champion best practices for our technical team, in regards to development process, documentation, coding, error handling, testing, product quality, maintenance and support
- Evaluate proposed technical solutions by weighing the risks, rewards and future implications of each decision and recommending the optimal technical path forward
- Develop estimates of time and effort for new projects and track the progress of the technical team from inception through delivery
- Assess technical skills of your team members and work to continually improve their skills through mentoring, training, pair-programming, code reviews and fostering an environment of excellence
- Develop your team's skills in multiple areas needed for successful engineering projects including project management, verbal and written communications, UX design and more
- Manage the Digital team's roadmap with buy-in from product managers and design.
- Lead the recruiting process for new engineering hires to meet headcount annual headcount demands
- Coach and mentor the engineering team, leading by example with our team values at the forefront.
- A natural leader who always finds ways to help others on the team learn, develop and continually improve
- An excellent communicator able to explain complex technical solutions to your non-technical teammates
- A collaborator who values and builds upon perspectives contributed by others
- A strategic thinker who likes to roll up your sleeves and execute
- A clear and effective communicator in both conversation and written word, deeply empathetic toward your customer
- Comfortable with ambiguity and possess the experience to guide difficult conversations which result in clarity and achieving consensus
- 6-9 years of experience working as a software engineer on a team with other engineers, designers, and product managers
- At least 2 years experience leading technical projects as a manager with direct reports
- Experience developing complex internal tools
- Experience with microservice architecture
- Experience developing mobile application and infrastructure to support it
- Experience with cloud infrastructures such as AWS, Google Cloud and etc
- Deep understanding of object-oriented design and database design
- Experience writing automated unit tests and executing test-driven development
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job's requirements, our business's needs, and an applicant's qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind-in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale, or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees' Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.