Director of APAC Merch, Footwear
Portland, Oregon, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Community & Sport
General Position Summary:
The Director of Merchandising for Asia Pacific will lead the regional merchandising team in the continued development and growth of Columbia Sportswear in Footwear for DTC, wholesale, and ecommerce channels. This global leadership role will be directly accountable for development and execution of revenue and gross margin targets for the regional footwear business, and will be a key member of the APAC and Global Footwear Leadership teams.
The ability to build strong partnerships with channel leaders to effectively define and implement segmentation strategies necessary to maximize revenue and profitability while improving forecast accuracy and SKU productivity is key. Using this market based information, sales performance and consumer knowledge, this leader will influence and adopt a channel relevant product mix and assortments covering key price points.
This role requires experience and knowledge within the outdoor industry, market and consumer trends. As the team leader, you are responsible for providing product vision and strategy for the business and regional teams by ensuring the team creates seasonal assortments that support global brand strategies, marketing messages, and business initiates while optimizing local and regional needs.
- Work with Global Footwear team to develop and execute product strategies that deliver on regional revenue and gross margin targets.
- Develop market & consumer relevant seasonal Brand aligned product assortments (multi-country and multi-channel) for your markets, leveraging history, market knowledge, trend assessment and financial risk and reward.
- Educate sales force on seasonal product innovation & technologies, brand & product initiatives, product assortments and marketing support.
- Maintain communications with CSC Footwear design and development staff, as well as marketing, ecommerce and global marketing in evaluating, reviewing and updating seasonal design and development direction of product line
- Pre-line seasonally with strategic accounts through presentation of key stories, directed assortments and initiatives.
- In partnership with sales and planning, you will lead workstreams to develop seasonal and long term growth strategies supported by business planning.
- Partner with APAC Leadership and Global Footwear by leveraging your knowledge of the market, competitive landscape, consumer and market trends in order to ensure product needs for your region are incorporated into the global seasonal line plan.
- Manage the seasonal product adoption & assortments for your markets (From concept to sales meeting) to ensure seasonal financial targets and style count targets are met.
- Partner with sales and merchandising leadership to develop seasonal product line pricing strategies that support revenue and profitability goals, while still remaining competitive in the marketplace.
- Demonstrate, effective cross-functional communication (verbal and written), collaboration and coordination throughout the seasonal product creation process.
- Partner with finance to manage margin and profitability for seasonal product line to hit seasonal targets.
- Lead business analytical workstreams (margin, style/sku count, style/sku productivity, forecasting, bookings and sell-thru analysis) to build team expertise on the regional business and the management of it.
- Align with sales, demand planning and marketing to develop operational and Go-To-Market plans to support Brand Strategy and Initiatives with regional relevance.
- Seasonal margin management across multiple category product lines demonstrating the ability to manage to margin targets and adjust product mix as needed. As the manager, you are required to participate in all Seasonal Interim Margin Reviews to represent your region's performance.
- Effectively communicate regional opportunities to Regional and Global Footwear partners through analytics, consumer and market insights.
- Coordination, communication and alignment of product assortments and pricing across distribution channels (Omni-Channel).
Experience and Expertise:
- MBA and/or Bachelor's degree in business or related discipline
- Minimum of 8+ years product or footwear merchandising experience in the sportswear, outdoor or action sports industry.
- 5+ years Team Development and Management experience.
- Solid business management skills with demonstrated financial acumen.
- Strong understanding of the consumer, retail environment and competitive marketplace in region.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic plans to meet or realign regional revenue & gross margin targets.
- Must be a leader, communicator, listener, analytical thinker, presenter with footwear merchandising skill set and business management expertise.
- Knowledge of and/or basic understanding in Digital Marketing/eCommerce/Social Media is preferred
- Mandarin and English language proficiency preferred
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age