DevOps Engineer III
Barkingside, Greater London, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Elsevier is in the midst of a transformation and technology is simultaneously at the forefront and the driving force. Our innovative technology platforms and smart content solutions operate at the cutting edge of big data, semantic web and cloud technology, enabling faster more effective critical decision-making daily across the globe.
Based in London the role will take responsibility for supporting the Elsevier portfolio. The technology transformation that is taking place across Elsevier is being delivered by newly formed agile teams. TIO (Technology Infrastructure & Operations) Engineers form part of these agile teams and help deliver the TIO and Product roadmap.
We are seeking a talented and self-motivated Senior DevOps Engineer. You will be joining a fast-growing agile team in Central London to help design and build global infrastructure for a high volume, highly available and high performance web application. This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in defining the way that web products are delivered within the company, devising; implementing; and optimising a modern approach to software engineering that enables continuous delivery and releasing features on-demand. As part of a cross-functional product development group, you should be as comfortable with strategic thinking as you are with rolling up your sleeves and scripting cloud infrastructure configuration or developing infrastructure in code.
- Establish the right infrastructure architecture, balancing performance and resilience with cost
- Advocate a Devops approach to product development and demonstrate best practice by example
- Automate provisioning, deployment, configuration management, monitoring and all other infrastructure and ops activities
- Set up, configure and monitor all environments including production using cloud computing platforms and local resources
- Help to grow the London teams by recruiting additional Infrastructure Developer/Ops engineers and supporting development hiring processes
- Monitor live services and respond quickly and effectively to any problems
- Establish disaster recovery, service outage, and risk mitigation processes for the production environments
Required Skills / Experience:
- Linux experience at scale
- AWS deployment at scale with a high level of architectural understanding.
- Understanding of configuration management and experience in at least one config management system (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack or similar)
- Experience in CI/CD and related tools/applications
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools
- Good understanding of multi-tier architectures for web applications and services
- Communicates effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Agile experience (in a least one of Scrum, Kanban, XP)
- Version control experience
- Keeps up to date with technology
- Excellent team player
- Ability to work on several streams of work simultaneously with good time management and reporting skills
Nice to Have:
- CDN's (Cloudflare, Fastly, Akamai, etc)
- Hands-on experience in maintaining internet facing production-grade applications in virtualized/cloud environments (i.e. Amazon Web Services, Azure, etc)
- Web Server Technologies
- Understanding of micro services based architectures
- Networking (ISO/OSI)
- Ability to troubleshoot problems
- Demonstrates the ability to write clear documentation
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress. Elsevier provides web-based, digital solutions - among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Elsevier Research Intelligence, and ClinicalKey - and publishes nearly 2,200 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and over 25,000 book titles, including a number of iconic reference
ScienceDirect is home to almost one-quarter of the world's peer-reviewed full-text scientific, technical and medical content. Over 15 million researchers, health care professionals, teachers, students and information professionals around the globe rely on ScienceDirect as a trusted source of nearly 2,200 journals and close to 26,000 book titles. ScienceDirect supports research and education with interactive elements in articles such as audio, video, graphs, tables and images, and offers tools so users can easily set alerts.
Content on ScienceDirect also features embedded links to external datasets, including earth and environmental science data from PANGAEA, abstract and indexing data from Scopus and chemical reactions data from Reaxys. With almost 12 million content pieces available-including pre-publication release of articles and open access content from Elsevier journals-ScienceDirect is a premier platform for discovering the world of research.
works. The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group PLC, a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors.