Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Retail & Consumer Products
The Designer will be responsible for the working on the styles that have been assigned on a seasonal basis for the Mountain Khakis brand. The role requires a creative approach to your work with a strong knowledge of all apparel and accessories categories in order to conceptualize, and ultimately commercial the styles you are working on. Developing and maintaining a strong eye for brand right silhouettes, color and fabrics is essential as we differentiate within the marketplace in our own unique way.
Reporting directly to the Director of Merchandising, Design & Development you will agree on the appropriate seasonal style allocation. From there you will work within the Concept 2 Consumer Calendar (C2C) to ensure that all seasonal deliverables are handed off in full and on time. Your work will include researching trend and style direction as well as the competitive set for the styles assigned to you; sketching your ideas and then turning them into digital designs as both CADs and Tech Packs; applying the seasonal trim package in accordance with the brands guidance documents.
Developing a unique, and interesting, point of view to apparel design is critical as we look to bring interest and unique propositions within our assortment. The garments should be fashionable, and functional as we aim to exceed the expectations of our consumer and elevate to a Premium positioning strategy.
Your work will be relative to the pre-established MSRP, Wholesale and Gross Margin targets and you will be guided by the seasonal color palette and mood / inspiration boards that will have been completed from within your department.
Strong communication skills are essential as you will be expected to present your work at seasonal meetings as well as at Sales Conferences and potentially also at tradeshows. Based on being a small team you will also be required to understand the complete apparel line in case you need to present or speak to the rest of the assortment on occasion.
Once your designs are complete, you will work closely with the Director of MDD and the Product Line Manager to ensure that the Technical Designer and the Senior Development Manager are properly executing your styles in a way that is fit appropriate as your design vision is interpreted. You will participate in fit sessions in order to ensure proper execution of the garments.
It is also important, that as a collaborative team member within your department, you help execute against the specific goals and objectives of the business.
Finally, your work will be completed in Illustrator and other product specific programs and you will ensure that all tech-packs, sketches, CADs, VLPs and other Mountain Khakis IP as specific to product is on file within the PLM, and stored accordingly.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities (Essential Functions)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following and all other assigned duties.
- Strict adherence to the C2C Calendar, ensuring that you are organized and able to complete your goals and objectives on time.
- Exceptional ability to apply and perform design skills, including drawing, sketching, concept ideation, color theory, use of texture, spacing and scale across a well merchandised and organized seasonal product line.
- Completing your sketches, technical drawings, CADs, BOMs and other required design work for the styles that have been allocated to you.
- Ability to creatively find unique ways, through design language, to elevate the Mountain Khakis product line as we differentiate ourselves through interesting product.
- Follow the seasonal color palette and design / trend inspiration boards.
- Ability to stay connected with fabric trends and innovation as we create interest and enhanced features and benefits through integration into our products.
- Presentation of the line and its products to internal and external stakeholders or customers at either private or internal meetings, tradeshows or sales conferences.
- Ability to apply trims and branding across the product line as collaboratively agreed between the design and marketing departments.
- Designing & executing against the seasonal line plan - designing to the specific MSRP's and IGP's as outlined as approved by the President & CFO.
- An open minded and positive collaborator. A clear and consistent communicator. Ability to assist all team members to manage, meet and ultimately exceed the expectations of the Product Department.
- Working through the PLM system. Ensuring all of your styles are uploaded into the PLM tool.
- Working with the Development Team and the Technical Designer to ensure that your products are executed according to the vision and direction of the brand and your designs.
1. Organization & time management.
2. Communication through various mediums. Strong written and verbal.
3. Comprehensive understanding of garment constructions and textiles.
4. A keen eye for detail and a thorough approach to your work.
5. A sense of urgency to follow up and follow through with different stakeholders across the business.
NOTE: This list presents only the principal duties of the position and is not intended to be comprehensive. Other duties and Responsibilities may be assigned as dictated by the business needs and conditions. As an essential function of the job, good Attendance is required.
Qualifications, Educational Skills and Experience
At least 5 years' experience in a similar role.
Education and/or Experience
Tertiary education qualifications in a product or apparel related discipline.
Pending your availability there will be travel to both seasonal tradeshows and sales conferences. All travel to be planned in accordance with the Corporate Travel Policy.
Proficient in Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office especially Excel & PowerPoint. Ability to be a fast learner and use the company's PLM system.
Mac based systems user.
Other Skills and Abilities
Thorough understanding of fabrics and other related apparel product details. Technical Fit experience is required.
A basic understanding of international product manufacturing processes, and sourcing strategies.