Volunteers of America National Services
Boulder City, Nevada, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Hospitality & Tourism
The Homestead at Boulder City is looking for a Full-time Cook to join our team!
The Cook will provide quality food service in accordance with all State and Federal regulations and to meet the nutritional and individual needs of the residents.
- Completes defined food preparation, serving of meals and cleaning duties according to proper procedures, using various dietary equipment and supplies, as assigned by the Director of Dietary and Management Team.
- Plans and initiates cooking schedule for food preparation to meet meal schedule.
- Prepares, seasons, cooks and serves meat, main dish, soup and vegetable for assigned meal; ensures appropriate portioned servings according to portion control standards.
- Prepares nutritional snacks for residents as assigned.
- Tastes and smells prepared food to determine quality and palatability.
- Monitors temperature of hot and cold foods through food preparation and service to ensure that established temperature goals are met prior to steam table transfer and maintained throughout meal service.
- Stores leftovers properly, plans for use of leftover foods in accordance with State and Federal sanitation regulations.
- Supervises dietary staff in the absence of the Director of Dietary and Assistant Director of Dietary; initiate replacement calls for absentees and re-organizes work assignments as directed.
- Assists with department inventory program.
- Implements menu substitutions if needed according to State and Federal regulations.
- Cleans equipment and work areas as assigned by the Director of Dietary.
- Friendly and enjoy working with the elderly.
- High School diploma/GED required preferred. Education in quantity cooking and therapeutic diets preferred.
- Minimum of one year food service experience in a healthcare dietary setting preferred.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age.
- General knowledge of quantity food preparation and portioned serving required.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents, family members and the public.
- Numerical ability necessary to make various computations in keeping work record, monitoring inventory control and supplies, and in recipe preparation.
- Possesses adequate strength and endurance to meet the strenuous physical demands of preparing and carrying quantity foods.
- Possesses coordination and dexterity required to prepare food and operate dietary equipment.
- Able to understand and follow procedures, recipe directions, diet orders and work assignments.
- Works in an area that is often very hot/cold.
- Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.