Consumer Loan Originator
America First Credit Union
Ogden, Utah, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Accounting
Working in a sales-focused environment, responsible for establishing and building member relationships by selling core deposit account, loan products and other credit union services. Interviews and advises members regarding loans, deposits and other products/services, including investment referrals. Responsible for reviewing and processing consumer and home loan applications and opening and closing accounts. Explains credit policies and obtains additional loan information and documentation. Effectively communicates information regarding credit issues and requirements that may be needed in order to process initial member loan requests. Communicates with the underwriting department and informs members of loan decisions. Researches, evaluates, and determines whether loans meet Credit Union lending criteria and are within approval limits. Provides members and prospective members with prompt and professional service. Initiates contact with members by phone, letters and/or email to determine additional financial opportunities with the credit union. Ability to attain and exceed expected baselines in sales, volume, and service is expected. Assists and directs area loan personnel as necessary. Acts as loan processor / senior member service rep. as needed.
Assumes responsibility for effectively coordinating, overseeing, and completing assigned loan functions:
- Interviews, takes applications, and processes preliminary documentation on loan requests. Conducts personal and telephone interviews and discusses loan alternatives, credit criteria, interest rates, and loan documentation with the member in such a manner as to elicit a positive response from the member. Actively sells credit life, disability, and GAP insurance. Makes MFS referrals. Expectation is to meet monthly Credit Union sales standards including promotions and campaigns.
- Evaluates and verifies loan applications and credit criteria. Computes debt ratios. Verifies employment and income. Determines value of collateral. Verifies collateral insurance coverage. Recommends loan decisions and cross sells to the underwriting department within limits of authority and notifies applicant of loan decisions. Requests additional information if required.
- Processes loans including ordering of credit reports, title searches, appraisals, documents comments in internal underwriting and handles loan closings.
- Assumes responsibility for the effective development of Member relations.
- Maximizes the penetration of Credit Union products and services in order to meet/exceed established baselines.
- Makes appropriate recommendations for loan, deposits and other services. Is highly motivated and is both sales and goal oriented.
- Counsels members, where possible, concerning money management and discusses loan alternatives in such a manner as to elicit a positive response and repayment of current debt owed to the credit union.
- Resolve any rejects concerning loans and membership accounts in a timely manner. Assumes responsibility for processing and securing liens on collateralized loans and prompt follow up on titles still pending.
- Ensures that members' requests, questions and issues are promptly and courteously resolved.
- Ensures that members are properly informed of Credit Union accounts and loan policies and services.
- Ensures that the Credit Union's quality and professional reputation is projected and maintained and Credit Union Dress code is followed.
- Counsels members whose loan requests were denied, explaining reasons and alternatives.
- Responsible to open new accounts and all other credit union related products and services.
- Assists all other employees in branch operational duties as needed.
- Assists in training and cross-training Receptionist and Senior Member Service Reps
- Completes reports and records promptly and accurately.
- Attends and participates in meetings and trainings as required.
- Keeps Management informed of area activities and of any significant problems.
- Stays informed regarding local and national economic conditions and legal and regulatory changes.
- Acts as loan processor / senior member service rep, and branch receptionist as needed.
- Ensures proper maintenance, cleanliness, and security of work area. Ensures member confidentiality is maintained.
- Accountable to review and respond to Point Score Compliance exceptions, policy violations, loan rejects in a timely manner.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned.
- High School Graduate or equivalent. Additional business coursework preferred.
- Successful completion Member Service Rep Certification and Senior Member Service Rep Certifications which include: (Lending Classes: Lending Sales, Lending 1, Lending 2, Business Services, SBA Lending, Lending 3, SAFE Act registration, Mortgage Lending and lending tests 1,2,3 passed with 85% or better)
- Sales Certified based on loan volume, MCLO Certified based on volume.
- Thorough knowledge of Credit Union products, services, policies and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of credit union lending procedures, processing and Loan Pro.
- Strong understanding of related legal and regulatory standards
- Solid understanding of Credit Union operations.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressive credit union experience, preferably in areas where product promotion, sales (in person and over the phone) and superior member service skills were demonstrated.
- Senior Member Service Representative Certification (preferred). Experience with new accounts and loan applications required.
- Excellent communication skills and public relation skills.
- Ability to recognize and offer sales opportunities that will benefit the member.
- Excellent Communication skills. Professional phone etiquette.
- Professionalism in appearance and attitude
- Cooperative and works well with others
- Able to analyze loan documents and other account information
- Ability to operate related computer applications and software required to complete assigned responsibilities.
- Proficient math and reading skills.