Business Process Optimization Engineer II
Western Governors University
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Other
The Business Process Optimization Engineer (BPOE) is responsible for developing and implementing academic business processes which are optimized to support the growth, service level, and cost performance needs of the individual colleges and functional practices of WGU. This position works very closely with the business analysist in the Education Technology team and the process owners within the Academic Operations teams to drive detailed redesign and re-engineering of current process, and to lead the establishment of brand new, breakthrough, processes to ensure WGU's fulfillment of our Student Obsession mission and goals. The Business Process Optimization Engineer (BPOE) brings deep working knowledge of Lean and Six Sigma tools to analyze and design optimized processes and value streams as a working member of our project teams. This position works to optimize both the fine process details of very focused workflows; as well as, working to optimize groups of process (systems) which drive value streams across multiple colleges or functions. Business Process Optimization Engineers work to model capacity, service levels, outcomes, and cost over time in conjunction with Finance and Operations teams to predict and prevent supply and demand imbalances leading to sub-optimized process performance. The BPOE role is a high visibility position and requires both technical process design/analysis/modeling skills as well as advanced team leadership and communication skills. The position will be directly involved in the largest and most important transformation projects at WGU.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for being the Lean and Six Sigma tools and methodologies expert on project teams and process redesign teams.
• Performs detailed process analysis using Lean and Six Sigma tools to drive the design and implementation of optimized business processes for academic operations practices, functions, and colleges.
• Coaches, trains, and assists other team members and other WGU employees in the skillful use of process optimization methodologies and Lean/Six Sigma tools.
• Uses Project Management methodologies to plan workflows and work assignment to ensure the on-time completion of process design and redesign projects.
• Creates and maintains a detailed business process architecture mapping of the Practice's process.
• Develops measurement plans with high level and low level KPIs to identify efficiencies and prevent waste in the organization.
• Directs day-to-day process improvement work teams and project teams in the use of process optimization tools and data to ensure the best use of the team members' time. This includes leading, mentoring, demonstrating, and executing the actual tools and methodologies as needed to ensure on-time success of the team.
• Designs and implements operational and data-driven decision support systems to establish and maintain a culture of execution and continuous process improvement (CPI).
• Supports process and cultural transformation by guiding stakeholders through change management efforts.
• Constructs and communicate project status reports at all levels in the organization.
• Collaborates with other professionals both inside and outside of the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
• Consistently exhibits WGU's Leadership Principles
• Responds with urgency to organization needs and exhibits excellent judgment to deliver results.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• Knowledge of Lean & Six Sigma tools and concepts
• Solid understanding of quality Improvement methodologies
• Working knowledge/proficiency in Project Management Processes & Principles
• Fundamental understanding of Business Process Architecture Mapping
• Bachelors or Master's degree. Degree(s) must be in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Supply Chain Management, Actuarial Science or an MBA. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
• Minimum of 3 years professional experience in a technical/engineering background.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience working with Lean & 6 Sigma methodologies & tools in the optimization of business processes.
• Black Belt or Master Black Best certification (or the ability to achieve in 2 to 3 years)
• Lean Silver or Gold certification (or the ability to achieve in 2 to 3 years)