Assistant Operations Manager (3PL - Home Delivery)
San Diego, California, United States
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Executive Positions
FLSA STATUS/FT-PT: Exempt, Full Time
REPORTS TO: Delivery Coordinator
DIRECT REPORTS: Yes
LOCATION: San Diego, CA
About the Role
Our growing company is looking for efficient, dedicated, and performance-driven management professionals for a dynamic operation. The management team will be responsible for managing process, implementation and execution of the deliveries of retailers' merchandise (i.e., furniture, household goods, appliances, etc.) to retailers' customers. You will oversee, monitor, and maintain ongoing communication with delivery teams, clients, and customers in order to address and resolve any problems or obstacles that could interfere with the timely completion of scheduled deliveries.
A Day in the Life
- Coordinates with retailer's representatives, delivery staff, and customers to ensure accurate and timely deliveries.
- Ensures independent contractors and delivery personnel are in compliance with all requirements and regulations.
- Maintains positive relations with retail customers by making periodic store visits, exploring specific needs and assisting with the resolution of problems when requested.
- Contribute towards the achievement of the company's strategic and operational goals and objectives.
- Manages daily capacity planning and calculating loads or trucks needed to better inform client
- Sets and achieves financial objectives, prepares an annual budget, schedules expenditures and controls costs, analyzes variances and initiates corrective action; maximizes use of all assets
- Spearheads resolution of customer service issues by tracking the status of product deliveries and resolving any issues promptly.
- Maintains and supervises delivery staff which includes:
- Recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees and Independent Contractors
- Developing and maintaining a plan to handle unanticipated "spikes" in volumes to cover sales events, store openings, anticipated business volume, etc.
- Maintaining a safe and secure work environment including daily vehicle/fleet maintenance, inspection, and yard checks
- Maintains Quality Service by monitoring and achieving completion rates, minimizing damage, non-deliveries, and returns to improve and enforce delivery standards.
- Provides recommendations for improvements to systems and procedures.
- Prepares standard and specialized reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends, as required.
- Conducts "Ride Along" evaluations of drivers and helpers.
- Enforces all company policies, methods and procedures.
- Performs all other work as assigned by or on behalf of supervisors.
What You'll Bring
- Proven work experience in operations management and team-building preferably in the home delivery/transportation startup environment
- Combination of education and 2-3 years minimum of transportation/delivery management experience or 5 years in a supervisory position
- Strong organizational, communication, reporting skills
- Efficient computer knowledge: particularly Microsoft Applications and other operational systems as required
- Ability to work independently, effectively with minimal supervision, and as a member of a team
- Detail-orientation, analytical problems solver with excellent project management skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees, independent contracts, supervisors and the general public requiring courtesy, discretion and sound judgment
- Knowledge of Company policies, practices and procedures and requirements / standards
- Excellent judgment, analysis and decision making skills and abilities
Does This Sound Like You?
- A motivated self-starter
- Communication: Crisp and effective written, verbal communication skills and follow through
- Integrity and sense of urgency
- Customer and client focused
- Excellent time and stress management
- Multi-tasker, flexible, quick thinker and self-sufficient decision maker
- Proactive, courteous, empathetic, flexible, creative, solutions-focused
SCHEDULE: Tues- Sat 5am-3pm OR 9am - 7pm.
Background, physical & drug screen required