Area Support Lead Engineer
Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Area Support Lead Engineer - Process
The Operations Support Lead engineer will be embedded in Area operations and report to the Area leadership team for technical Engineering support across a broad spectrum of new and ageing facilities. Leading a small multidiscipline team of engineers across all areas of technical operational support for tactical field operations activities. Acting as a central engineering team representative with the accountability for Operations support and engineering assurance. Other expectations of the role;
The Operations support Engineering lead will be tasked with Process engineering technical support and also work closely with optimisation and production teams to identify debottlenecking opportunities & constraints, initiating debottlenecking projects as necessary.
- Promote a culture of safety and continuous improvement
- Identifying & mentoring Iraqi nationals
- Single Point Accountable (SPA) for the front-end definition of various technical changes originating from operational work scopes. Carry out Site Surveys, preparation of Basis of Designs, Statement of Requirements, Engineering Query responses and Management of Change proposals.
- Play an integration role between field and the central Maintenance & Engineering teams in developing scopes, provide front line engineering and operations input.
- Process Engineering support to the Area
- Focal point for Pre-Start-up Safety Reviews, Emerging Risk Notifications, Operational Risk Assessments.
- Custodian of PIDs and update of critical documentation for the area
- Support the Operations team procedure development
- Coordinate with Production/Operations/Maintenance staff to identify/prioritize and schedule MOC activities
- Advise and coach a multi-disciplined Iraqi Engineering/Operations/Maintenance workforce at assigned assets
- Ensure critical process / instrumentation & control documentation & process safety information, including P&ID's, and Cause and Effect Diagrams are kept up to date.
- Identify areas of improvement in safety, reliability, and efficient execution of work
- Provide assurance on engineering compliance with applicable Standards, Specifications, Codes and Regulations. Ensure that non-conformities and temporary deviations are identified
- Provide procurement engineering support for material requisition development, bid evaluations and supplier documentation reviews
- Communicate Process & Process Safety lessons learned to the site Operations team and encourage a culture of sharing experience and continuous improvement.
- Support the Major Projects, Concept Development, Small Projects and Central Engineering teams by acting as a focal point for the incorporation of operational experience into the design of projects and facilities enhancement opportunities. Facilitate Operations input into key project decisions and process safety reviews.
Degree / diploma qualified engineer or equivalent work experience in Chemical/Process Engineering or a closely related discipline.
Essential experience and job requirements
Extensive and relevant industry experience in brownfield Operations engineering support environments. At least 18 years industry experience with 5 years in International multicultural Operational roles across the full value chain of hydrocarbon and water production facilities. Experience in brownfield engineering, reliability, and strong technical leadership with influencing capabilities.
Candidate to demonstrate familiarity with all relevant industry process engineering codes, standards and practices (API, ASME, ISO), and relevant experience with key Process engineering tools such as Aspen HYSYS & Flare System Analyser, Schlumberger Pipesim etc.
Desirable criteria and qualifications
- Key skills include communication, interpersonal relationships, facilitation, influencing, and negotiating
- Ability to develop others and foster diverse relationships in a multicultural environment
- Ability to identify correct priorities of maintenance and engineering support activities
- Ability to identify and assess safety hazards
- Ability to speak Arabic would be beneficial but not essential
- Experience of process hazard analysis methods such as HAZOP, HAZID / What-if, LOPA.
- A passion and relentless drive for continuous improvement
- Strong use of IT systems to analyse data, and produce reports & KPI's etc
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience influencing operating teams and contractors
- Strong cultural awareness
- Able to prioritise work in a high activity environment
- Able to work within a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong bias for being proactive and getting results
- Demonstrate planning, organizational and communication skills
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.