2019 Graduate Civil Engineer - Birmingham
Aldridge, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
As one of the worlds leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, were passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us thats all about reaching beyond the expected to do work thatll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
Our Civil Engineering teams based in our Birmingham office are currently looking for graduates with an interest in Water, Industry or Infrastructure. As a Graduate Engineer, your responsibilities will include the delivery of concept studies and strategies and the use of software to design plans for the built environment, to prepare design data for issue, and to support engineers with the production of drawings. You can expect to be active on a number of project and client accounts at any given time working with experienced technical staff to support your development.
Our Development Infrastructure team are looking for graduates to join their team involved in all aspects of infrastructure design. You will have the opportunity to develop skills in highways and drainage design, utility and earthworks modelling and apply them across a whole range of sectors.
Our water team are currently looking for graduates with an interest in working on multiple projects each day. The team work on flood alleviation schemes, designing waste receival, treatment and handling facilities as well as designing sludge and bio-gas storage facilities. In this role you will see the \"behind the scenes\" within the water industry and influence the advancement of modern society by efficiently providing clean, affordable water.
Our Industry team work on a multitude of projects, the role is completely multi-disciplinary. The sectors you could work in range from pharmaceuticals to chemicals and fibres to food and energy. As a graduate you would be involved from the design inception stage through to the operating phase. Some of the projects you could be involved with are designing plants for Unilever, Thornton's, Rolls Royce and Proctor and Gamble.
All in a days work
We asked our graduates what its like to do their job. On a day to day basis, the life of a graduate at WSP starts off in the morning with cups of tea and responding to any urgent client emails.
Beyond that, anything could happen!
Naturally, there is a lot to learn and you are likely to be guided through complex software packages, team briefings and client updates from the start.
What youll need
- Youll be graduating in 2019 or have recently graduated with at least a 2:1 in a Masters or Bachelors degree in a relevant degree
- Youll ideally have less than two years relevant experience
- Youll be passionate with the curiosity and creativity to solve problems
- Youll want to stretch and inspire us, speaking up about any new ideas you have
- Youll want to throw yourself in from day one and put your studies into practice
- Youll have excellent communication skills
- Youll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
- Youll have confidence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively
What youll get from us
Our graduate development programme is a 3 year programme designed to provide you with both professional skills and specialist technical development opportunities. The programme is supported by our senior leadership team and is tailored give you the support, guidance and the development opportunities you need to help you work towards chartered status or equivalent professional qualifications. The structured programme includes but is not limited to training in:
- Technical report writing
- Team specific technical skills
- Project management (introduction and advanced)
- Influential communications
- Commercial concepts
- Teambuild challenge
- Continuous Improvement
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. This commitment is shown through both our PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) network and VIBE which is our LGBT+ employee network. Our VIBE and PLEDGE networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable all employees to reach their full potential and to ensure we continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace for everyone.
Our employees also come together through our social events some of these events have included office Olympics, go karting, BBQs and of course the annual Christmas events!
We also offer our Professional Growth Network (PGN) which is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditations.
Finally, we have a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
- Professional Development Bonus to recognise attainment of professional statuses
- 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
- Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
- Discounts and offers with a variety of high street retailers through our Treats programme
- A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
- The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
- The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
- Reduced rates on gadget insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme " EAP offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.
How long does the process take?
You'll receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application within 48 hours of submission. We work hard to match you to the most suitable roles in our business and the recruitment process can vary depending on the role and team you are matched to. Most applications are progressed to interview or assessment centre within 2-3 months but its good to know that the whole process can last up to 6 months in total. We will aim to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered however, due to the volume of applications received, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.